6.5 saum ladder test, with pics

Long ago and far away... in the land of Montana, there resides a man who is named Pat Sinclair. A man of many talents, including shooting, hunting and reloading, Pat was keenly involved in the process of converting 7mm RSAUM brass into the best cases suited for use with the 6.5GAP4s as well as the reloading procedures for best accuracy. Here is a very lengthy number of pages which contain a large amount of information concerning both the case conversion and the reloading of those cases as well.

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/care-and-feeding-of-a-gap-6-5-saum.176545/

If the Hornady brass doesn't suit you, I suggest learning how to handle the conversion of the 7mm RSAUM which allows you to use Norma and Nosler brass should you choose to afford either.

Regards.

Do you think it matters what freebore? Mine is the .081.
the load will go up as the freebore increases, youll be fine in that range of h1000 . the .081FB is the most popular and most diverse in its ability to run just about every bullet in a true short action.. also don't be afraid to jump those hybrids ive seen them start coming into their own at .050-.060" off. I hate jamming bullets in any rifle unless it sits on bench and does nothing but shoot paper.

Last edited:
OK, I see that you are making, in actuality, a velocity test. Same zero, faster velocities climbs the groups upward. So instead of shooting at different smaller targets on a large target you are keeping vertical zero and climbing each 5 shot group until you hit the best node. 5 shot groups give a better sample of group size than 3 shot groups. You are talking load workup and I am talking a scope tracking test. In optics test circles the term ladder test refers to what one I described. This is the first time I have ever heard of a ladder test referencing load work-ups. To me it's an odd test but maybe a "poor man's" velocity v.s. grouping test.

BTW, Velocity is meaningless if the groups are 5 MOA. Yes, you get various nodes (group sizes) as you increase velocity and I guess you save target paper with a velocity ladder test but using a good chronometer like Lab Radar will give you a record of actual velocities. A Magnetospeed V3 is a less expensive alternative with the same record keeping ability including ES and velocity averaging.

Eric B.
your not picking up what we're putting down are you?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.