Ladder Test

nwmnbowhunter

Hello everyone,

Did a couple ladder tests yesterday. I don't have a chrono but would just like insight into each one, and if you could answer the questions I pose.

Thank you

John

20190925_200806.jpg

1. I have found a nice group from 92-96. Do I just pick 94 and run with it or what?

20190925_200745.jpg

2. This one is interesting. Pressure showed at 10, but with 3-9 so consistent.... how do i choose a load? It was a little wind from left to right as well.

Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks!!

What distance? I use ladder just to get me in the realm and then I shoot 3 or 5 shot groups at say .2 or even .3 gr intervals in the areas that look promising. You really need a chrono brother to get real data paying very close attention to ES. I have seen some nasty little one hole groups have an ES of over 50 and with spread like the vertical is insane and very unpredictable at distance.

I do understand the need for a chrono... just more interested in the interpretation of my questions. Thank you.

With so much of a window how do you decide where to start in that window?

Target number 1 has a 5 grain node.

Target number 2 has a 6 grain node.

Last edited:
That information is still useful. Shoot groups with powder between 92 and 96 grains. Probably a smaller range of consistant loads or groups will show up. Maybe 94 grains is where it is, maybe not. Only one way to know. Shoot em. If you find a couple really promising loads. Go shoot them again to rule out one being a happy accident. A chronograph will help make sure the load is a good one with respect to ES and SD. Its really just a matter of testing and re testing until you are happy with the results for your uses. 2" groups might work for a regular hunting rifle, .25" groups might be garbage for a benchrest gun.

I'm having some difficulty following this thread, would appreciate some help. For me I will usually find a load with a powder that I believe will give me good results to start the ladder test. I recently did a ladder test for my 30-06 using a Hornady 168gr HPBT Match bullet with Superformance powder. I started by loading with 1/2gr below maximum load (61.5gr), loaded five pieces of brass, then dropped the load by another 1/2gr until I ended up with 6, 5 shot sets for testing. When I go to the range I shoot at 100 yards just for testing, and I put up 6 target dots (usually 2 inch dots). I have a Caldwell chronograph, but usually do not use it; and....I know that I ought to but it's a PITA to set up. I will shoot my six targets and select the load that groups the best to then fine tune. The best load shot was with around 3/4 inches using 59.5gr of Superformance. I have not had any time to find tune that load, however I plan on trying .02 tenth grain loads above and below the 59.5gr load that shot so well out of the six shot string. Is there another variable that I ought to be checking for? I appreciate any information or input with the process, is there something else that I ought to be doing?

I'm having some difficulty following this thread, would appreciate some help. For me I will usually find a load with a powder that I believe will give me good results to start the ladder test. I recently did a ladder test for my 30-06 using a Hornady 168gr HPBT Match bullet with Superformance powder. I started by loading with 1/2gr below maximum load (61.5gr), loaded five pieces of brass, then dropped the load by another 1/2gr until I ended up with 6, 5 shot sets for testing. When I go to the range I shoot at 100 yards just for testing, and I put up 6 target dots (usually 2 inch dots). I have a Caldwell chronograph, but usually do not use it; and....I know that I ought to but it's a PITA to set up. I will shoot my six targets and select the load that groups the best to then fine tune. The best load shot was with around 3/4 inches using 59.5gr of Superformance. I have not had any time to find tune that load, however I plan on trying .02 tenth grain loads above and below the 59.5gr load that shot so well out of the six shot string. Is there another variable that I ought to be checking for? I appreciate any information or input with the process, is there something else that I ought to be doing?
Nothing wrong with that method brother many people do the same thing. The test the OP is doing is a step some do previous to your method. It gives you a wider spread in charges to find where pressure is while also showing you charges where vertical dispersion are very close. After this is done you would then go to your method of loading in smaller increments doing 3 to 5 round groups at shorter distance looking for groups and ES/SD.

The one thing I have found with going paper only, is that a really accurate rifle beeds to be done further out. My 338edge makes a pretty meaningless ladder at 300, from 87 to 91gr in 1/2gr steps it will put them into a 1/2 moa round group. It needs to be shot out further.
Having a node that many grains wide is pretty unlikely. If you have 500y available I would go in 1/2 gr steps 92.5 to 95. If not I would do a couple 3 or 5 shot groups 93-93.5-94 and see if the small group size repeats.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.