Ladder Test Question

A two minute rifle can put a couple bullets 8" apart. How does one know if the lighter load went to the 8" down or the higher load went to the 8" higher load?

A few years ago I had a guaranteed two minute rifle. The first elk I killed happened to be a a ranged 400 yards. Laying over a berm I had almost a bench rest setup. I knew the bullet was going to hit withing 4" of my aim point so I adjusted for 400 yards and held in the center of the chest. The Nosler 160 Partition took out the arteries at the top of the heart.

I installed one of those adjustable muzzle brakes and dialed the same load down to between 1/2" and 1" at 300 yards!

i suppose the same way as if it were 2 inches high or low? I cannot see a 2moa rifle being much harder to work with than any of the 1.5, 1, .5 or better moa rifles I have had good success with using ladder testing. Remember though, this method just points us in the right direction for rough charge weights.

Honestly never done it on a 2moa or greater rifle, but I bet the poor nodes will give a noticeably bigger vertical spread than even the already "big" groups the rifle is shooting.

Sounds like a good reason to do some mil surp shooting and check it out lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.