Lands question

orangediablo

I know this has been addresses before and I apologize but a question about lands and measurements. I get how to measure for the lands. Let's say my OAL when touching the lands is 2.950". Does that mean I should start cooking up loads with OAL of 2.900, 2.850, 2.800.....and see which shoots the best? Do i test in smaller increments like 2.925, 2.900, 2.875... This will double as target/hunting, mag. fed, so there is a possibility that my OAL may be limited by the mag, but if it isn't, is the above method the best way to test OAL with consideration to the lands? Thanks guys.

Very "loaded" question.

I take the bullet design in consideration first off and try to save components by using some of MY rule of thumb methods.

Bonded Core or Monolithic (coppers) bullets I start at .050 of lands and seat deeper first in .025 increments up to .125 off the lands before moving any closer than .050.

Cup and core common bullets for hunting I start at .025 off and seat deeper in .025 increments up to .100 off before going closer than .025.

ANY VLD use Bergers methods outlined on their website.

And remember the first rule of thumb...............there are no rules!

When you say '.050 off the lands", you mean if the lands are 2.900, start with OAL at 2.850, then 2.800, 2.750....

Use Berger's method for ALL bullets.
Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

Ditto - method works, saves time and ammo in long run

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.