LabRadar - tips and tricks to keep it from missing shots anyone?

Mike6158

I'm about to start testing some 150gr Barnes TSX (tipped, triple shock x bullets) in my 7mm Rem Mag. I found where the bullet jams and it's quite a bit longer than the magazine so I'm going to start a little shorter than C.O.L. for that round, which is 3.230. I selected 3.227 to start. I could load longer and single shot load, usually do that anyway, but look at the photo of the bullet below. It seems pointless to me to load longer, say .020 shorter than jam.

I'm using H1000. A friend of mine suggested the bullet because the exit wound of my kills with a Berger VLD wasn't up to his standards. Personally I've always been comfortable with the deer being dead. It's not like we had to walk more than 30 yards past where I shot it. To be fair, tracking a deer with a sparse blood trail in brush country sucks, but we never had to do that on my kills. I digress... The first deer I shot with the TSX was impressive. It was only 120 yards away, I hit where I aimed and the deer reared up on his hind legs, almost vertical. Blood spurted about 5' out of each side, it fell over on it's back, rolled over, and died. The deer watches me when I walk by every morning. I think he's still mad at me. I'd never seen anything like that.

Initially I thought about trying to develop a load with the TSX that would reach out to 500 yards reliably and accurately. Low ES, good groups, etc... When I started comparing the 168 VLD's to the TSX I noticed a glaring problem. Do you see it? VLD left, TSX Right.

p1821388051-6.jpg

Seated, Just under C.O.L. the end of the case is just below the top of the top groove. The groove is just barely visible, Guess what else is at the top of the top groove. Both ogive comparator bushings (different vendor). So the first thing I had to contend with was being happy with C.O.L. not base to ogive. To me the red flag is those grooves. I can't see that as being anything more than friction and instability enroute to the target. I'm no Bryan Litz, not even close, but I know a little about flow (hydrocarbons). Bumpy things bad... So I stopped load development all together right? Weeeeelll...

Not really. I still need some hunting rounds. I'm going to go through the motions and try to pick a load with a decent ES, assuming I can find that. I'm not going to do different powders. Then check groups at that length. I may shorten the length .003 at a time and try to find a node. Those grooves hurt my eyes so probably not.

So now you know why I need my LabRadar to not miss any shots, which is what the real point of the post is. I need good ES data (it'll be sparse. I only loaded 3 per powder charge. I'll be shooting for ES and groups.

I haven't used the LabRadar I have in about 4 years and the first two times out recently it sucked. I was testing pistol ammo and to be fair it was all user error. It's got the latest firmware now. I went through the settings with instructions, this time I was not guessing, and I think I have everything set right. My 7 Mag has a muzzle brake and it has holes every 45 degrees circumferentially for a full 360 degrees. I don't have full confidence that I knew where to place the muzzle of the rifle for the test. Or if I need to use a barrier. I set the distance in the settings to 18" but I could set it back to 12".

Thoughts appreciated. Bulletbitching eh... ok Doesn't matter to me. I've got a box of 40. That's a lot of deer seasons.

Muzzle brake 10-12" in front and barrel 8" to the side of the unit. Set the lateral offset in the "Configuration Menu" under "Set Proj. Offset". Instructions on page 10 of User Manual. If you have issues LabRadar personnel are very helpful: [email protected] or 316-866-2525.
Aim the unit as precisely as possible at the target.
With these parameters I have not failed to record a shot; as long as I remember to arm the unit.
Inertial trigger sensor absolutely necessary when using a suppressor.

I agree with the external trigger. It ends up being more reliable for the times when the bench layout and the muzzle don't work out.

With the external trigger, you can lay out with the muzzle way forward and just focus on keeping the LR offset and alignment under control. It also keeps the muzzle blast from a brake away from the LR so you don't knock it off line or beat up the unit.

ETA: the only down side to the ext trigger, is to keep the BlueTooth connected so you can arm/disarm when working the action. Because the external trigger is always on, if the unit is armed when you cycle the action, you get false triggers that you have to delete. I just keep the iPad nearby and arm/disarm as I take data to keep from having to delete false triggers.

As a side note, I will comment on the TSX and TTSX loads I have encountered over the years here, first with the Condor Zones and then the state wide lead bans.

These tended to group when seated deep. I cannot explain why, but the rigs I loaded for all wanted them deeper than I imagined, so if you have trouble try seating deep.

Also, for some reason I would also suggest to scrub clean before you start if there have been any regular bullets ahead of these.
It seemed to be that going back and forth between regular bullets and these gave me trouble for many rounds before the performance settled, so it was better to scrub for a reset to make a change back and forth with regular bullets. YMMV

Good Luck.

Seated, Just under C.O.L. the end of the case is just below the top of the top groove. The groove is just barely visible, Guess what else is at the top of the top groove. Both ogive comparator bushings (different vendor). So the first thing I had to contend with was being happy with C.O.L. not base to ogive. To me the red flag is those grooves. I can't see that as being anything more than friction and instability enroute to the target. I'm no Bryan Litz, not even close, but I know a little about flow (hydrocarbons). Bumpy things bad... So I stopped load development all together right? Weeeeelll...
Bumpy things not equal bad. Bumpy things equal consistent engraving force. Also, a proper comparator will find the ogive in front of the groves.

For the Labradar, setup 12" to the side and 12" behind the muzzle. Aim at same target and shoot. You should have no trouble with a 7mm Mag unsuppressed.

The JLK trigger, and external battery pack, and a fast enough SD card are the keys to using the Labradar.

As a trick, use the next size down comparator as your base-to-ogive measurement. Though I've not ever had a problem with BTO using either of my comparators on a 7mm rifle, I've had to use the next size down for some other calibers. At least you'll have a measurement that is much more repeatable than using COAL.

As a trick, use the next size down comparator as your base-to-ogive measurement.
X2. It's called a comparator for a reason, it gives you a relative comparison and nothing more. As long as you use the same insert each time, your measurements will be consistent and repeatable.

I do this with CE Lazers because of how the ogive/drive band design works.

The JLK trigger, and external battery pack, and a fast enough SD card are the keys to using the Labradar.
That's what I do. I use the trigger all the time, no matter what, because if there is any difference from using it at least I get a consistent difference.

It was only 120 yards away, I hit where I aimed and the deer reared up on his hind legs, almost vertical. Blood spurted about 5' out of each side, it fell over on it's back, rolled over, and died. The deer watches me when I walk by every morning. I think he's still mad at me. I'd never seen anything like that.
I've had 5 deer in a row go to same way. (Just with Hammers.... not sidetracking 🤣 ), but it sure does mean my tracking skills have suffered. Massive trauma to the brachial plexus does some pretty weird things, separate and apart from the deer never being further away than they can flop. One of mine did a back flip this year. Last year one dropped in his socks and never twitched. I'm a believer in copper bullets!

Bumpy things not equal bad. Bumpy things equal consistent engraving force. Also, a proper comparator will find the ogive in front of the groves.

I've got a set of Sinclair comparators The work fine on Berger bullets. But... they aren't precision ogive markers, they're comparators. They are for comparing. (I need to tell myself that more often). Dr. Vette has the right answer. That said, at the max seating length I'm going to use the comparator bushing lands just above the remainder of the groove.

It doesn't matter. I trust my dies to seat consistently. Besides that I check small lots like these every time I load one. It'll be interesting to see how these do.

OOPS... two posts came in while I was typing...

Trigger ordered. Piet has a little over a month lead time so I went with JKL Precision.

Does your friend know by design, the Berger bullets do not need an exit wound to be effective?

I doubt it. His bullets come in a box. Nothing wrong with that btw. All he's going off of is, in brush country (George West area for the Texians in the bunch) you don't want the deer to run off unless it's bleeding out. He doesn't know about seating depth, nodes, VLDs, etc, or care.
A friend and I hunted with him over in brush country one year. My buddy brought his son. His son had just graduated high school and he had it all figured out (I was plumb brilliant when I graduated so I can relate). He wanted to shoot his deer with his youth model .243. Nostalgia and all that jazz. We're on a high fence ranch. That's not the place for little bullets. We all tried to talk him out of it.

He shot his deer pretty close to dusk, it ran straight for one of those 18" holes made of thorns, aka game tunnel. The game tunnels are known to have rattlesnakes, even worse, copper headed rattle moccasins, Javelina, known for their 12" tusks and foul smell, Wolves, great big ones, cape buffalo, lions, pythons, you name it, there's all kinds of stuff in there but only if it's getting dark on April 1. There was no blood trail and he pointed us in the general direction that it ran. Apparently the deer just took off, no flinching just booked it out of there. We asked if he thought he hit it. Yessir... I think so :( So we started criss crossing in the general direction. I found the first tiny spot of blood. I think the guide saw it first and knew what was coming so he wandered way off. I found another smaller spot and the general direction was toward the "tube of death" in the brush. The others wandered off in different directions, included the kid that shot. I ended up 1 mile in (about 25 yards give or take), crawling on my hands and knees finding blood as I went but not much. I'm not exaggerating (this time). The drops were 1/8" across at best. Anyway, found one more drop and then maybe a couple of yards away, there was the deer. It was dead so at least it was easier to drag out. They all helped me from that point. They stood outside of the tube of death yelling encouraging words like- (1) I'm hungry, hurry your *** up, (2) why is it taking so long, (3) you realize it's getting dark and it's a long walk to the house if you don't get out of there soon (4) you're going the wrong way.

Hunting with a group of friends brings people together. Sharing stories (lies) and being there together (to make fun of whoever needs it the most) is memorable.