power how long will it keep?

new shooter

i am getting a338-408 built its going to eat alot of powder.I understand power will change from lot to lot.My queston is can you get 40 or 50 pounds with same lot # will it keep four years?

As long as you keep it dry and it dont get too hot or cold powder should and does keep for decades!I've ben useing the same 8# keg for 12 years on one round and by the round count lately it should last another 12.
Its a good idea to do buy lots of powder big enough to burn out a barrel,saves a lot of hassles reworking loads.

Your rifle will be TOAST long before you go through 50lbs of powder. Besides, what if after using a couple of pounds you find a different powder that works better?

I'd limit my purchase to 8lbs and thats if you're fairly confident that you will be sticking with it. Large dealers can often give you several single pound cans from the same lot, if thats any help.

I keep my powder in its original container and have it in a cool, dry area. Some of my powder is many years old and is used periodically when working up loads for a new cartridge. Storing powder this way, I have never had a problem.

Just my 2 cents.

I believe Alliant has a 'Sample Lot' of Blue Dot that they use to confirm pressures and burn rates of new lots are the same as the original. I read somewhere that the 'Sample Lot' is over 70 years old. With proper storage you will be fine for as long as you are alive.

My neighbor gave me about 50lbs of 4831 that was stored properly since at least 1962 and I believe it is WW II production. A friend is using it up rather quickly! I wish I had kept it.....

It's funny you say that about Blue Dot. I have an 8 lb can I just opened the other day with a lot # of 121 no letters or any other numbers.

It's still good, works just fine.

I am curious how old it might be.

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you keep it dry and it dont get too hot or cold...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have powder that is over 40 years old (price on the can is $1.15), and it has been stored in the garage attic - over 120 in the summer and -10 in the winter, and it's fine.

It's hard to damage it if you keep it in the orginal container (or equivelent), and keep it dry.

I have only lost one can of powder, and that was a 1# can of 4064 that decomposed from poor washing during manufacturing.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.