Labradar -- how critical is ......

So, I pulled the trigger on a new Labradar today. I am also ordering the trigger switch.

My shooting range is my back yard, and I shoot from a covered deck on the back of my house, so I have electricity available.
I won't need a rechargeable battery pack will I? Isn't there a charging adapter included that I can simply keep plugged in?

My bench is very spacious. Is a tripod needed, or is the unit self standing on a wide, flat surface?

Thanks,
Jeff

Isn't there a charging adapter included that I can simply keep plugged in?
It takes a standard Mini USB so you could run it that way. Or you can put rechargeable AA batteries in it and not have to deal with a cord.

Rechargeable Batteries @ Amazon

y bench is very spacious. Is a tripod needed, or is the unit self standing on a wide, flat surface?
It will not stand up on its own, it needs a tripod or some kind of mount that screws into a brass stud point in the bottom of the unit. I got a small tripod to puts it somewhere between 1-12 inches above the bench height based on what I'm shooting. A small one with less adjustability would probably work fine also.

Kinda Small Tripod

Small Tripod

Last edited:
So, I pulled the trigger on a new Labradar today. I am also ordering the trigger switch.

My shooting range is my back yard, and I shoot from a covered deck on the back of my house, so I have electricity available.
I won't need a rechargeable battery pack will I? Isn't there a charging adapter included that I can simply keep plugged in?

My bench is very spacious. Is a tripod needed, or is the unit self standing on a wide, flat surface?

Thanks,
Jeff

As part of the mounting platform you need some way to adjust where the unit is pointing. A ball mount on a tripod or platform is a good way to go.

That isn't the same type of power source as a battery.
All that matters is that the voltage is regulated to the 5V DC standard for the USB input, and that the wattage is appropriate. The only converters I use are Apple or Anker, they each work just fine with USB-based charging and operation on electronics.

FWIW I just ran my LR off an outlet to copy down some strings that were in the unit memory. No issues using a 12 foot USB cable and an Apple wall wart.

Last edited:
I have started placing mine above the rifle on a small tripod because most of my muzzle brakes are side brakes. Makes aiming it a little easier because it is above the bench 18". I plan to build a stand that I can shoot under.

The algorithm used by the Labradar makes the first of its many velocity measurement about 10 yds in front of the Labaradar, and then extrapolates back to the Labaradar to calculate an estimated muzzle velocity. The Labradar doesn't "know" where the muzzle is located, and so the calculation is done back to the unit, itself. In other words, the muzzle velocity number the Labaradar produces assumes the unit is sitting even with the muzzle. A handful of inches one way or the other won't produce a noticeable error, but, if you get too crazy with how far the unit sits in front or behind the muzzle, measurement accuracy will be affected.

Last edited:
The JKL trigger with magnetic option works for a wide range of rifles. It works on anything metal on the rifle. Scope rings, actions, bottom metal. Previously I had to move it closer for suppressed, back for brakes, and short barreled guns. With the trigger, all that movement is eliminated. Go ahead and get the external battery pack because it will eat batteries otherwise.

The JKL trigger with magnetic option works for a wide range of rifles. It works on anything metal on the rifle. Scope rings, actions, bottom metal. Previously I had to move it closer for suppressed, back for brakes, and short barreled guns. With the trigger, all that movement is eliminated. Go ahead and get the external battery pack because it will eat batteries otherwise.
Can you point me in the right direction to find this battery pack that you speak of please...

Can you point me in the right direction to find this battery pack that you speak of please...

Lots of guys bought generic battery packs from Amazon and saved a few bucks. Unfortunately, a few of the packs damaged their LabRadar units. Apparently, they didn't meet the required specs. Volts, amps, not sure??

Last edited:
Lots of guys bought generic battery packs from Amazon and saved a few bucks. Unfortunately, a few of the packs damaged their LabRadar units. Apparently, they didn't meet the required specs. Volts, amps, no sure??
That's good information, and one of the reasons I asked for the guidance. I got it coming and that hopefully completes my LabRadar package. I also picked up a new Revic BR4 ballistic rangefinder to replace my old Gunwerks G7 BR2. Now, if I can just get the time to play with my new toys.

I have always used my 5AH Makita 18v battery with the $20 USB charge port adapter. I believe the adapters exist for all cordless tool batteries. I can run LR off of one USB port and my phone or tablet off of the other USB port. I can take two batteries just incase one isn't enough. Saves having a separate lithium battery pack for LR or anything else for that matter. I even pack the USB adapter and a small 3AH battery in my hunting pack for overnight hunts. The AH ratings are at 18V -> 18V x 3000mA/5V = 10,800mAH @ 5V if I understand it all correctly. The power tool batteries also recharge much faster than a battery pack.

Recent Posts