Kowa Spotting Scopes????

Sheephuntr

Live in a small town south of Boise Idaho called M
im in the market for a spotting scope an was curious what people's opinion is on the kowa's? I'm looking at the Kowa 501 or a bit bigger? It's going to be used for general hunting an shooting at the range. Ain't got the money for a swaro an probably never will. My budget is around $1000.

I have owned a Kowa TSN 662w/40x eyepiece for about 10 years. While it's no Swaro, it's as good, usually better then most all the "other" spotting scopes I've looked through. Good value for the $$, and can withstand some rough usage.

I own two Kowa spotters, a 66mm and 88mm. The 66mm is for the backpack and the 88mm stays close to the truck. The 88mm has the Prominar glass in the eyepiece and the objective. I sold a Swarovski and replaced it with the 88mm Kowa and have no regrets. I think the Kowa spotters are just as good as the big three. I have owned Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss optics and the Kowa is top notch as well. Check out the birder forums, Kowa is always near the front of the pack.

I have a Kowa 663 and a Manfrotto tripod with fluid head for it. It is very bright and sharp and the good steady tripod and head are essentials in my book. Superb glass for the money. Check ebay and you might find one used for a good price.

Thumbs up for kowa. Most bird watchers will say the same, they can be pretty anal about their optics and a lot of them go with kowa. I personally have the 88mm angled with 25x60 wide angle zoom and am very pleased with it.

Just got the Kowa 554 with the prominar glass. It's 28.6oz, im backpack hunting so its perfect for what im doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.