Kirby's craftsmanship pics

Re: Kirby\'s craftsmanship pics

7mmRHB,

I have had a new unfired take off REM 300RUM bbl fitted to replace a 338 WIN bbl.

Borescope of the Win bbl is gawd awful. It has major nicks and gouges at the intersection of groove and land. One groove has a major scratch/gouge for its full length. Amazing that it will shoot 1/2 MOA.

I intend on using the full final finish process on the new RUM bbl mostly to just see what happens and to do some other kinds of tests.

Is there any advantage in cleaning more frequently than after each 10, say 5?

Roy ,I suspect that there would be some advantage albeit a small advantage. If you have the time and energy, go for it. It certainly won't hurt.

As far as the use of the entire fifty bullets in the Tubbs kit, I've never seen a Remington bbl that required more than 5 #2s-and then ten of each #3-#4-#5. The #1s and #2s are for the most hideous machine marks you can imagine!! I'd look in the RUM bbl (fully cleaned)with a Q tip inserted about 1/2" and take it out in the sun and see how prominent the annualar rings are and decide how many bullets to shoot through it. There's lots of friction so use a light (slow)load and keep it cool. It's amazing how well they shoot and clean afterwards.

Good luck---7mmRHB--

Thanks for the advice...

I was figuring on a load of about 80 gr of Ramshot Magnum for an estimated ~2400FPS. To fast?

Roy, that should be plenty slow. Make sure you don't exceed the max. SAMI O.A.L. You need plenty of bullet jump.--RHB--

7mmRHB,

Thanks for the further advice.....

To get the thread back on track, I'm waiting for my piece of Kirby crafsman ship to be finished. Howver I think I goofed on the stock. I went a less expensive route @ the beginning thinking that I'd get the 'better' stock later and do the finish and bedding myself. I have my eye on a Shehane Modified Lee Sixes thumbhole tracker. Like this.

I'm kinda wishin I would have had it sent early on to Kirby and let him fit it. The problem is that the rifle is a right hand action and I shoot lefty and I'm not precisely sure the Sixes is an 'either sider' but it kind of looks to be easily modified if it isn't. Plus the forearm is 2" longer than normal which should help the look w/30" bbl + brake.
332target-8.jpg

Kirby, you were right about this gun and the 1/4 moa mark. Looks to be one severely accurate addition to your resume`.

I believe Grouper will post the load development targets and numbers some time today. GG is liking this little gun and can't wait to go for some FAR SHOTS---RHB---

Here's the pic of two days worth of load development:
blloadd.jpg

The numbers are as follows:
(All RL22 with 140 grain Berger Vld's jammed .020" into the riflings)
<font color="blue"> Day 1 </font>
rw 1 51.5 grains, left page target 4
es 43
av 2871
sd 23

rw 2 52.0 grains, left page sighter
es 45
av 2934
sd 22

row 3 52.5 grains, left page target 1
es 16
av 2965
sd 8
<font color="orange">LOW END SWEET SPOT </font>

row 4 53.0 grains, left page target 2
es 30
av 2988
sd 15

row 5 53.5 grains, left page target 3
es 33
av 3023
sd 18

row 6 54.0 grains, left page target 5
es 35
av 3047
sd 19

<font color="red">Day 2 </font>
All RL 22 and 140 berger jammed

Row 7 (repeat of row 6) 54.0 grains right page sighter
repeated this charge because two bullets were same speed and one jumped way up so we wanted to see if it was a fluke. On day two it did the same thing, two at same speed and one jumped way up. Average velo went up a touch but sd was almost identical.
es 37
av 3052
sd 18

Rw 8 54.5 grains, right page target 1
es 23
av 3070
sd 11

Rw 9 55.0 grains, right page target 2
es 6
av 3103
sd 3
<font color="orange">HIGH END SWEET SPOT </font>

Rw 10 55.5 grains, right page target 3
es 13
av 3136
sd 6
(I flubbed the shot that went low and left)

Rw 11 repeat low end sweet spot of 52.5 grains, right page target 4
es 16
av 2981
sd 8
Sweet spot low end was identical numbers/perfect repeat and if you look at the groups, they look identical in shape and size. Velo went up a touch probably because of a fouled barrel.

All loads shot in breezy conditions without wind flags. Temp was 60 and before sunrise. No mirage.

Out of eleven loads, the biggest measures .755" and smallest goes .197". Average is probably in the low .3's!

This gun is a shooter. Now to test the high end sweet spot and low end sweet spot at 700 and 1000 yards. Details coming soon...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roy the Lee-Six stock does look pretty ambidextrous from the picture. I don't know how sharp the cheek area would be for a lefty but Grouper seems to be shooting well with the thumhole stock on the XR100, from the wrong side. Of course thats just a temporary situation and the gun kicks so little that the sharp edge hasn't damaged his good looks yet.

Whatever stock you sent to Kirby will perform great after he massages the 'innards. Good luck with your project.

---7mmRHB----

Just a little follow up on the new stick.

The owner came to shoot and ( see) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif his new toy for the first time. Grouper forgot his camera so sorry to say no pics today but the gun shot very well and Brent was pleased with both the looks and accuracy of his new gun!!!
He started at 100 yds to get a zero and put 3 into ¼" with the first of the four shots (a fouler) touching the group, got the turrets rezeroed and set him up on the gong at 706 yds. After a shot to get the wind figured out , Brent put a nice 2.25" 3 shot group on the gong. Great group for the conditions. Next we set him up on the 12" gong at 1145 yds . A couple of sighters and he was on the gong and ready to see what kind of group it would produce. Four shots later we were looking at a 2" high by 4 1/2" wide group and a big smile from Brent!!! A great job of shooting considering what GG calls the Vodoo wind factor at this spot.
Thanks Grouper for the great load development!!! Tiny ES and SDs and tiny groups to go with them.
Kirby , thanks for the great Craftsmanship. You were pretty close with the ¼ moa prediction!!!
As for myself ,I would like to think my brass prep and stock work might have contributed to this project just a tiny bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (probably wishful thinking) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It has been a fun project!!!!-----7mm RHB

7mmRHB,

Glad to hear it.

You know full well that the stock work is every bit as important as any other aspect of an accurate rifle. Obviously everything is working well including the shooter!!

Glad he is happy. It was an interesting project to say the least!!! Turned out very well though obviously.

Kirby Allen(50)

I agree; the bedding and brass work are part of the foundation of a great shooting rifle.

I'd like to take that gun and run down to Raton and see who would take second place!

This gun worked out great and considering the wierd toilet bowl wind we had, it scares me to think what it would do when it's calm outside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Great job again Kirby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kirby,

I saw this thread again and it reminded me that I forgot to tell you that I took this rifle out again later after it had a few rounds down it on a p-dog trip and she still shoots! First group I fired at 100 yards to check zero went into a .210" hole for five shots!

This rifle would be competitive in any 1k br match in the country and it was built to just ring steel and tip over p-dogs!

Just thought you'd like to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sweet, thanks for the update.

Say, hows that MOAGs recovering from the barrel set back?

That bore was pretty baked, did it bring any life back to the old girl? I never hear how she did after you guys got her back?

Take care!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts