Kinda new to this, brass life ?'s

aaroncarp

Im sure there are all sorts of threads about brass life on here, honestly Im being kinda lazy and would rather have someone answer my specific questions.

I just started reloading back in January, and I am really getting the hang of it, but I have no idea when to know when I shouldnt reload brass agian. I shoot a 300 RUM and a 22-250. I have about 60 nickel plated federal brass, and about 60 remington brass for the 300. Most of which has only been shot once or twice. I have done all my load devolopment with the federal stuff so a few of those have been shot 2 or 3 times. This is a big gun and I dont want the brass to crack or break when fired, so what should I look for on the brass to know if I can load it again?

Yes I know I should probably buy lapua or nosler brass for it but I do have over 100 pieces so I dont see the point in spending more money.

For my 22-250 I only have 50 pieces of hornady brass that I bought and fired once when I bought the gun. Then a miracle happened and my friend found 250 reloaded 22-250 shells and gave them to me. All various kinds of brass and hardly any or no load data for most of them. I was a bit hesitant to shoot them but I have shot many of them and all of them seem to do fine out of my gun. But I have no idea how many times this brass has been fired so I really need to know what to look for on these ones to make sure I dont make a big screw up.

Thanks everyone in advance

I reload for my RUM and get about 6 or seven reloads before primer pockets get loose , mine will get a ring about .25 from the head you can feel it with a paper clip . I don't reload nickel brass so no insight on them . Also it also depends on how hot your run them ! Hope it helps

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts