How to improve brass life

J E Custom

With cartridge brass so hard to get in some cases I have had to add a step to my reloading process
and will share it with anyone interested.

Recently I discovered that not all new brass has been annealed. some brand new brass showed signs of splitting after the first firing. first I though the neck chamber may be to big. (This was not the case). so I checked the hardness of the same lot for hardness. It had not been annealed after all of the forming.

Knowing the manufacturer starts with annealed brass to improve forming all I can guess is that some have left the final anneal out to save cost and improve profit. I looked/checked some other new brass cases that had been tumbled thinking that maybe they had been annealed but the tumbling had covered up the heat rings from the anneal. with some of the much older brass, this was the case. but some of other brands were not annealed and then polished. "SO" it looks like we have three choices, ether buy a brinell hardness tester, buy cartridge cases with the heat rings from annealing to be sure or anneal and new cases that don't show signs of being final annealed . The new brass that did not have a final anneal was as hard as cases that had been fired 3 or 4 times. so with this brass I was starting with essentially new brass that had been fired many times.

#1=Now I anneal all new brass that doesn't show signs of being annealed from the factory as the last step.

#2= after fire forming in the chamber It is used only in that rifle and neck sized only, unless it needs a little sizing to chamber well. I prefer to use a bushing die to reduce the number of sizing's by 50%. this extends brass life also.

#3= I try to avoid maximum loads when possible also.

Cartridge brass has become a problem in many cartridges and anything I can do to extend the brass life I will.

At the moment I have only found a few brands that for sure do a final anneal and try to buy them if they have the cartridges in their brand, otherwise I plan on annealing all new brass to get the most out of it.

J E CUSTOM

I just split an order of Lake City LR 308 brass with a friend of mine. I dumped 125 in my tumbler and they look pretty good cleaned up and no crimped primers to deal with. Do you think it's worth the dime sending them to be annealed? I don't think these were ever annealed, at least the brass doesn't show any discoloration around the neck-shoulder area.

J E after fire froming in chamber, do you recommend annealing again?

Only after several more firings. The brass should be good for 3 or 4 loadings if you start out annealing first. just like after you anneal third or 4 fired cases.

I still don't know how long brass will last annealed first, But many years ago new brass lasted 3 or 4 firings before needing to be annealed.

J E CUSTOM

you could build your own annealer for a little over 100 dollars depending on how sophisticated you want to make it. I'm building one that I found off youtube. Seem to work pretty well.

Simple, take a few grains of powder out, I hardly think any animals heart/lungs will notice 100 fps...I have tons of brass that have survived for decades by just sizing about 2/3' of the neck and not shooting max loads, I've also found it improves my accuracy , plus you get to actually see how big the gap is around your neck area with factory ream jobs..

Thanks for the heads up JE. I always enjoy your technical posts. Could you tell us what brands require annealing before the first firing?

What I found was that some brands were annealed many rears ago, and aren't now. so I just look at them and if they have been annealed as a last step, it will be visible, some of the older cases were annealed but them polished/tumbled so without testing everyone of them there is no guarantee.

Note: annealing a case that has previously been annealed causes no harm if it is done right. So any case that I cant verify the fact that it has been annealed, I anneal. Lapua and Privy Partisan are just some of the cases that annealing is visible on.

J E CUSTOM

I mostly buy Lapua brass, and have seen no evidence that is was not annealed. After 3 or 4 firings, I anneal it again. I neck size as often as I can for competition brass; hunting brass I full length size.

I have never annealed brass. It's just another arduous step that I'd like to avoid if possible. I use Lapua cases whenever possible but, unfortunately, I shoot a few cartridges that they don't make brass for. Sometimes Rem and Win cases just have to suffice.

I use Redding S type bushing dies and move the shoulders back about .001". Necks are sized minimally. I typically load on the high side of reliable book data but not beyond. I chronograph all loads and am careful to not exceed velocities that can be found in the books.

Overall, I get about 7-8 reloads (occasionally more) from my cases without annealing. I hope it stays that way.

I have never annealed brass. It's just another arduous step that I'd like to avoid if possible. I use Lapua cases whenever possible but, unfortunately, I shoot a few cartridges that they don't make brass for. Sometimes Rem and Win cases just have to suffice.

I use Redding S type bushing dies and move the shoulders back about .001". Necks are sized minimally. I typically load on the high side of reliable book data but not beyond. I chronograph all loads and am careful to not exceed velocities that can be found in the books.

Overall, I get about 7-8 reloads (occasionally more) from my cases without annealing. I hope it stays that way.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.