Kimber Montana

I had TERRIBLE luck with a 700 Classic in .257 Roberts, a caliber I always wanted to tinker with. It wouldn't shoot anything, even after I bedded it, did the trigger, and had two 'smiths go through it. Finally traded it and bought a Kimber Hunter in .257. Right out of the box, Federal Premium 120 gr NPs, all three sight-in shots touching at 100 yrds. As long as the barrel's cool, it is a fine shooter, and a pleasure to hunt with. What more do you want for $800? I love all 4 of my Kimbers.

I have a Montana in 7-08. I bought it new about 6 or 7 years ago. I love it! I did all the things to it that I do to any new factory rifle. Made sure the scope base screws and action screws were not bottomed out, ensured the magazine box wasn't binding and bedded the action. I used Talley one piece light weights and bedded them to the action. I mounted a Leupold 4.5-14X VX3 on it. Finally I recut the crown with my Manson set. I did all of that before shooting it. So, I don't know how it shot out of the box.

The load that I found that works perfect for my needs is a Hornady 150gr ELD-X and 41.1gr of IMR 4166. It is by no means a bench gun. In fact it is not easy to shoot off the bench. Fundamentals are extremely important with this light rifle. Cheek and shooting hand placement consistency are critical. When I do my part right and take my time, it pretty regularly will group between 5/8" and 3/4". It is SUCH a pleasure to carry and has a great natural point of aim for me.

Give one a try.

Bob

BTW - it is easy to shoot off my sticks and from a sitting position in the field it's not hard to ring steel at 730 yards with the CDS dial.

Last edited:
I have had bad luck with Kimbers.I have had a 7MM08 in a Montana and a 30-06 in a Classic Select.Neither would group under 3" at 100 yards.Kimbers CS sayed I should not expect much better than that.I figured for the price I payed they would shoot better then they did.Then I read (you have to shoot them a certain way).You have to bed and recrown them.Bla bla bla.I sold them and bought a Forbes 24B in 270.Right out of the box it shot 5 shot 5/8" groups at a 100 yards with Winchester White box ammo.I did not need to do anything to the rifle or hold it a certain way or kiss it and tell it I loved it.I then bought one in 308 Win.same deal.Accurate out of the box.I will never buy another Kimber Center Fire Rifle.OK now to be fair.When Kimber started to make 22LR rifles,I bought one called a Hunter Silhouette.It is the most accurate 22 I have ever owned and has the best trigger I have used on a factory rifle.Too bad they could not do the same with their center fire rifles.

Last edited:
Bought an 84M Montana in 308 and immediately put a factory contour 23" Benchmark in 6.5 Creed on it - before it was available in 6.5. Bedded it myself. The thing is ridiculously accurate with a very hot load of 139 Scenar and R17. Cerakote smoothed the action. I have $1700 in it but a bargain in my eyes for what it does. You do have to drive such a lightweight with special care.
But at that point it is no longer a factory rifle.

I have two Kimbers, one Montana in 308 and a Subalpine in 280ai. Both needed mag box relief, after that and turning the trigger down the 308 shot great. The 280ai, out of the box the barrel wasn't free floated. Called Kimber, got a shipping label and had it back in two weeks with a new stock and test target. Dealing with Kimber CS was easy.

Gotta love all the nay-sayers... its either "for that price id expect it to be perfect" or "i'd build a custom!" or "just go buy a tikka".

First off, Tikkas are great rifles no doubt... but the draw of the Kimber is the weight, and in short action they're **** near a full pound lighter. I think the stock on the Kimber is nicer as well - no, the stock isn't designed for long range shooting, but then again I doubt many are buying a ultralight rifle with shooting 1000+ in mind.

Building a 5lb custom for less than 3000 is laughable. Go ahead and give it a shot.

As far as expecting them to be perfect - its a factory rifle, and its the cheapest rifle available in its weight class. You can pay hundreds more and get a Fieldcraft(I hear they're awesome), or pay a thousand or more... with those, I'd say your expectation isn't misplaced as I'd expect a 3k rifle to be perfect.

What you can do, is buy your Kimber and see if it shoots. I'd bet it will - but lets imagine that it doesn't... so you take it and have it rebarreled. You're still in it for less than a custom and it'll for sure shoot then.

I'm not saying Kimber didn't have issues in the past - reading all the old reviews, I'd say they did. I've got two now that shoot great though... so did I just get lucky twice in a row? Nah my luck sucks lol.

New guy here who has mostly Rem 700's, but am curious about the Kimber Montana for a coyote rifle. Considering a 22-250 or possibly a .243. Really like the light weight of these rifles. Does anyone have good or bad things to say about them ?
I own a Kimber 8400 Montana, I have had roughly 20 or so through the shop with the same warm and fuzzy feeling I have with my Montana rifle (after firing it and breaking in the barrels). they are light, easy to shoot, accurate, and I would never give it up. Northern Nevada has some long distance shooting and these rifles as a whole are up to the challenge out of the box. do not worry about the Kimber Montanas they are worth getting.

I have a recent vintage Kimber Montana 280AI and really like it. It's been fine out of the box. It's my only light big game rifle and I like that option in the mountains. I really like the stock and trigger.

Buy one of these if you want a no drama rifle.Well with the few extra bucks.

Nice rifles that are now out of production. They are certainly more expensive. They don't have a real safety and I personally prefer controlled round feed. My opinion...

No doubt Barret makes a **** good firearm, but at 1600+ it's quite a bit more than you can find Montana's for.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.