Kimber Models Discontinued

VTbluegrass

Is it just me or does it appear Kimber has discontinued all wood stock rifles and heavy barrel models? They seem to be gone in favor of 37 flavors of 1911.

It's a Montana, a Hunter or nothing now it looks like.

I had not noticed that but it would not surprise me. I had not been into a fully stocked gun shop since around the start of C-19 and visited a couple in Idaho Falls a few weeks ago and it looks like that as far as new rifles go, it's pretty much plastic or nothing. Don't get me wrong, synthetic stocks are very practical and durable but I am amazed at just HOW CHEAP some of the new guns look and feel. Not INEXPENSIVE but CHEAP. Sure, there are some very well made and good looking plastic handles out there but there are also plenty that I wouldn't own if they were given to me.
I guess that the only people (old dudes in their late 50's like me and older) who can even still appreciate the look and feel of a quality wood stock are not in the demographic that matters to the sales teams anymore…..

I had not noticed that but it would not surprise me. I had not been into a fully stocked gun shop since around the start of C-19 and visited a couple in Idaho Falls a few weeks ago and it looks like that as far as new rifles go, it's pretty much plastic or nothing. Don't get me wrong, synthetic stocks are very practical and durable but I am amazed at just HOW CHEAP some of the new guns look and feel. Not INEXPENSIVE but CHEAP. Sure, there are some very well made and good looking plastic handles out there but there are also plenty that I wouldn't own if they were given to me.
I guess that the only people (old dudes in their late 50's like me and older) who can even still appreciate the look and feel of a quality wood stock are not in the demographic that matters to the sales teams anymore…..
I agree. I have a Ruger No 1 in .204 that is beautiful, as well as a custom .243 on a Mauser. My .416 Win 70 is also in wood. I have a Husky .30-06 in wood that is my favorite offhand rifle - I shoot it once a day at my 100 yard target. Also have a Ruger RSI in .243 that is one of my favorite coyote rifles (the other being a Ruger Mini-Ranch in .223, also in wood). And of course, a .22 just seems out of place without a wood stock.

I have quite a few shotguns all stocked in wood except for a Win SX3. I have a Ruger Red Label with beautiful wood but I slipped on a frost covered ledge in Feb while quail hunting and scratched the crap out of it.

I like having my pretty guns and my utility guns. If my Kimber classic 30-06 was in a short action or just something more fun to shoot in a light rifle I wouldn't think about parting ways with it. But since switching to left handed shooting it's just not as much fun to shoot on top of the bolt on top of bolt on the wrong side.
I always like to take the pretty guns hunting unless the weather is bad or I know I am going in the swamp or somewhere nasty. A synthetic, stainless, coated whatever can definitely look cool or interesting but pretty they ain't. Heck all my shotguns are in wood. Renaissance wax is a hell of a product keeping them from soaking up water when you dunk one in the duck blind.

They were sold to Nighthawk. They could care less about the quality and classic style that once was. They bought a name and closed the doors in Montana. Made in Arkansas now.
Kimber of America,the most recent iteration, was in New York. Either way it does look like they moved to Alabama and thus still lost an appreciation for style and class. Hahaha….

Apologies to members from Alabama, I married a Georgia woman and the Dawg has rubbed off on me.

Their new website is totally FUBAR, but working from the "Actions and Calibers" tab I found the Pro Varmint, Varmint, Classic Select, Superamerica, and Caprivi

Good find Turnbolt, that's definitely a terrible way to present product information. I'' still skeptical when factories move. Even when moving factories away from bad politics doesn't always mean better products.

The site is really messed up.

If you select 84M (short action) you see no wood-stocked models, but if you keep looking and get to the Classic Select it will show 308Win as available.

Last edited:
All Kimber thinks about is pistols. They have a groundbreaking action design; basically a miniaturized M70 Winchester, with no competitors, and they choose to ignore the business potential. Poor management!

Doesn't help that they haven't made anything but a hunter for about 3 years, kinda hard to be a money maker if you never make them. Probably a better market for the Adirondack and montana than ever but if you only build 911s and ugly ccw 380s. Watch a decent caliber Adirondacks go on gunbroker.... for 2x it's old retail.