Kimber Models Discontinued

Expand . . . grow the workforce . . . grow the business. Every well-managed business should be looking to continually grow.

In fairness to them they did move south for a better climate for operation. Sadly it coincided with our lovely governments decision to out compete everyone but the big boys for employment. Growth for many isn't really possible, it's in almost every production sector across the economy. The .gov teet > beats what only 3 years ago was a livable wage. On the average day I'll interface with two orders three small domestic companies that produce something (cast boat parts, resin applicators, hydraulics.... etc) I'm trying to remember one that is fully staffed at a level they can afford without pricing themselves out of the market entirely.

Guessing kimber is in the same place, picking the highest profit items to sell with the labor force they have. Labor on a hunter stock is what, 3 minuets to apply the gel in the stock add a pad and trim the injection molding fluff? How many hrs do you think a kimber classic select stock takes to finish... now muliltiply that times what's wages were in 19 compared to now for entry level skilled labor....

Wish they would diversify the rifle options, sadly completely understand why they don't.

On a lighter note, The Ruger boys put the Marlin 336 Classic, back in the 2023 lineup. Only about $1,239 bucks in 30-30 Winchester. New rifles got a the Horse and Rider logo on the pistol grip. It's almost like an early Christmas for those who still like a classy lever rig.

Last edited:
In fairness to them they did move south for a better climate for operation. Sadly it coincided with our lovely governments decision to out compete everyone but the big boys for employment. Growth for many isn't really possible, it's in almost every production sector across the economy. The .gov teet > beats what only 3 years ago was a livable wage. On the average day I'll interface with two orders three small domestic companies that produce something (cast boat parts, resin applicators, hydraulics.... etc) I'm trying to remember one that is fully staffed at a level they can afford without pricing themselves out of the market entirely.

Guessing kimber is in the same place, picking the highest profit items to sell with the labor force they have. Labor on a hunter stock is what, 3 minuets to apply the gel in the stock add a pad and trim the injection molding fluff? How many hrs do you think a kimber classic select stock takes to finish... now muliltiply that times what's wages were in 19 compared to now for entry level skilled labor....

Wish they would diversify the rifle options, sadly completely understand why they don't.
Absolutely, FJB has jagged everything up completely.

But the labor to build a Montana or Ascent cannot be a great deal more than to build a Hunter. And I have to believe the Montana/Ascent margins are pretty good as well. If not, increase the price. In the price range, Fieldcraft was their only real competition, and they are selling for big bucks.

As far as the nice wood stocked rifles go, the market is smaller, but what is their competition? A M70 Supergrade at 8.5lbs? Or a Cooper at $5K If I didn't have a few, and wanted one I would happily pay MSRP and more.

The montana/ascent is a stock sourcing issue. I'm not entirely positive but I've been able to piece together the outfit that made their stocks for many years just went out of business about 3 years ago. Kimber attempted to elicit new offers of comparable stocks but burned Bridges with the companies they tried to use. They lack the capacity to in-house make the stocks but getting injection molding setup is not that hard. So we're probably only going to get Kimber Hunters. (Rumor pieced together from some conversations, might just be legend so don't quote me.)

I wish stockys or some other OEM would do a dbm/carbon stock conversion for the hunters. Everything else can be swapped up by a smith.

Expand . . . grow the workforce . . . grow the business. Every well-managed business should be looking to continually grow.
A very well managed company is profitable and stable, not the largest. If it bothers you this much, buy it. Run it how you see fit. Learn the hard way. Risk everything you have worked for. Enjoy your many sleepless nights thinking about your employees when times are tough. If your way works you will be rewarded with high profits, if your way fails you loose everything you have. Just saying. It what all of us owners have faced. And before you go and spend all that money for equipment, raw materials and employees make sure you know your ROI. It may not be worth the hassles.

I have had many conversations with the man that designed the Hunter model. He wanted to offer a 223 version, and had completed the magazine design, but the management decided against it. Try to find a used 223 Montana. Anybody that has one is keeping it, since Kimber discontinued them. A Hunter in 223 would sell like crazy and all they had to do was produce the magazine, but they chose not to. How is that a well-run company?

He was offered a job down south, but chose not to move with the company because he felt it was a dead-end job due to them giving zero attention to the rifle line.

My first Yonkers Kimber rifle was a Classic 300WSM, (I believe the SN was 393), and I have owned literally dozens since then, because their lightweight CRF action design is not available elsewhere. All I am saying is If I owned their designs, I would not be ignoring it.

Finally, regarding the stock sourcing, surely Kimber owns the molds for the Montana/Ascent stock, since this is a large cost that no vendor will bear. With all of the synthetic stock makers in business, surely a new source can be found.

NULA - retired
Forbes - gone
Barrett Fieldcraft - serving their military market
Remington - who knows?
Winchester - no lightweight offering
Howa - no stainless lightweights
Weatherby - no reasonably priced lightweights
Ruger - the American (enough said)

I'm retired, but if I wasn't and was unable to be dominant in a market with ZERO competition and with virtually no development investment, I'd know I was a poor manager.

I was really just looking into it because I bought my Kimber 84L in 30-06 because the opportunity presented itself and I alway had wanted a Kimber but was unable to justify an somewhat expensive rifle until my situation changed and it was a possibility. I wanted a 260 but have never seen one in person. I was just looking for a replacement if I sold the 30-06 and couldn't find a wood stock Kimber short action anywhere. I still like the way it looks and the way the actions feels "machine-like", I just wanted a little more friendly cartridge at the range since it's mostly just shooting s-medium sized southern whitetail. Wanna trade anyone?! The Kimber Hunter line in my opinion is taking a rifle I like and putting it in a *** stock. They feel CHEAP to me.

Same when I bought my Montana Rifle Company X2 in 7RM I wanted an MRC and it presented itself but again I wanted a non-magnum short action. A absolutely great gun for the money but I didn't want a 7RM or I wouldn't have sold it.

So I have a bad habit or misfortune of find the gun I want in a chambering I don't and buying it because it was there to buy.

I miss seeing Kimber or other things with nice Walnut or even Laminate on a shelf for the fact they look nice. I fell like all I see at store now are Ruger Americans and Savage Axis cheap things you would replace when they break. Nothing seems like pass it down quality like the guns I have from my dad. Stainless coated synthetic carbon whatever even if it is a 8K full custom etc etc still has the boredom of a table of Glocks at a gun show. Yeah they are all very useful hammers but they are still just hammers and that's kinda boring.

Turnbolt 53. I agree there just isn't anything in the market the viably hanga with the action currently. Even the seven and fieldcraft were still push feed so while they occupied the light weight stainless space it was still objectively different.

Pretty certain kimber shopped oems for a new glass or carbon stock at some point. Met a guy at a composites show who had delt with them on some prototypes. His experience was about like my experience with them on replacement parts.... i.e. lousy.

Kimber could rule that space if they played their cards right. I'm still gun shy building off another, lord help you if you need a kimber specific part....

A couple of year ago the metal pillar in the fore end of a Kimber Montana I bought used broke loose and rotated about 90 degrees in the stock.

I sent the gun to Kimber with an explanation that I was not the original owner and stated that I expected to pay for the repair. Kimber replaced the stock, shot a 3/4" test group, and returned the rifle and target to me within 3 weeks at no change.

I know this is off-topic, and I am not saying other people have not had bad experiences with Kimber CS, but my one experience with them was extremely positive. "Credit where credit is due."

The issue isn't bone stock kimber's. For that they seem to be really good about things, or so I'm told. Issue is those of us that decide to do funny things like rebarrel them or tweak with Factory rifles. Heaven forbid you break something on the action after you decided to rebarrel it to some Oddball caliber after you dropped it into an MPI stock...

Wasn't looking for warranty work but buying a mag or bolt parts on a tweaked or altered rifle seems like a reasonable request.... but try it with kimber.... it's just the downside of some companies.

Wish they would do a partnership with stockys like howa did, that could be a really neat combo.