Kimber model 84 6.5 cm anyone shoot one .

dgr416

I just bought a kinber model 84 in 6.5 cm thought it was a good deal but a few bad surprises. THE gun bolts terrible and will hardly chamber a round without having to totally shove the bolt with as much force as you can .It bolts terrible in tje firing position on the safety but decent in the middle .I hope it's just the magazine .I thought this would be an awesome light hunting rifle 5.5 pounds but if it's a jam all it's no good .I called kimber no warranty for used guns with them.

I just bought a kinber model 84 in 6.5 cm thought it was a good deal but a few bad surprises. THE gun bolts terrible and will hardly chamber a round without having to totally shove the bolt with as much force as you can .It bolts terrible in tje firing position on the safety but decent in the middle .I hope it's just the magazine .I thought this would be an awesome light hunting rifle 5.5 pounds but if it's a jam all it's no good .I called kimber no warranty for used guns with them.

I'm the eternal pessimist, and have little trust in humanity…..so bare with me please.

Is it possible that it was a stolen rifle, or perhaps someone got the bolts switched inadvertently and the bolt was for another?

While not a Kimber owner, they have pretty good reputations for decent quality. The bolt, as you describe, seems unusual.

Just going "out on a limb" without a safety net. I certainly do not mean to offend you…..this just seems a possibility! memtb

Ice Cold GIF

This kimber bolts 10 times worse than a ruger American which is hard to bolt .It jams when you put rounds in the magazine. THERE are alot of people that had problems with them on accuratereloading. KIMBER said they redesigned the magazine because of problems with them .Its not stolen was bought on a good forum .It's bad machining and a junky plastic magazine put together. I have seen good abd bad reviews on YouTube on these rifles .I got it because it was light and looked alright but it was not right when I tried to use it .The guy I bought it from had it 5 years and only shot it 50 times .

This kimber bolts 10 times worse than a ruger American which is hard to bolt .It jams when you put rounds in the magazine. THERE are alot of people that had problems with them on accuratereloading. KIMBER said they redesigned the magazine because of problems with them .Its not stolen was bought on a good forum .It's bad machining and a junky plastic magazine put together. I have seen good abd bad reviews on YouTube on these rifles .I got it because it was light and looked alright but it was not right when I tried to use it .The guy I bought it from had it 5 years and only shot it 50 times .

Well, there's some good news! Perhaps a little 'smithing, either by you or a 'smith may be worth considering! memtb

What ammo are you using???
Jill has a Kimber 84 Montana 270 WSM with a Kevlar Stock.
Action works well. CRF 3 safety.
Shoots 1/2" MOA 130& 140 Nosler AB.
She shot several deer and so have I. I wanted to barrow it for Yote Hunting.
The only neg is the stock. If walking/stalking and a branch/twig hits the stock it is like a drum beat for noise.
It would be one of the last rifles we ever would sell.

It's a hunter model and I will try another magazine but I think it's the bolt and feeding ramp .It cuts brass when you turn yje bolt down to chamber it .It will not feed a ton of bullets I love to use .The bolt is smooth when it's on tje middle position but hard as crap in the fire position. ITS jammed 95 percent of tje time I can't trust it to hunt with for sure .I thought this was going to be my favorite new rifle .I have been using savage model 10 in 260 rem they feed like butter but they are not stainless .I tried Teflon lube and it helped the smoothness a little but still jams .I love old ruger 77 rifles totally smooth this kimber is like bolting old door locks that swelled from rain not good the bolt binds half the time .

The rifle needs to be bedded properly. Loosen the action screws and check feeding again. It should feed fine. Forgot to mention checking the magbox position.

I have 6 or 7 (I've sold some to make room for others). Kimber 84M, 84L and 8400. They shoot great with straight ammo and proper bedding.

Last edited: