Kimber action to build off of?

Elkwonder

I have a 280AI Montana located that according to the owner has a "shot out barrel". I can get it at a great price and was thinking about picking it up and doing a custom build off of it. However, after reading around, Im a little uncertain of how rigid the actions are.
I can't seem to find any RECENT information where anyone has built on a Kimber action. However what little bit I can find, it seems people question the light weight action flexing too much to be worth messing with.
I can't help but believe that they would be fine for a custom build as the actions are VERY smooth and craftsmanship is outstanding. My thoughts would be to go up one barrel contour over the standard Montana and have the barrel fluted and either free floated or bedded all the way to the end. Thoughts??

I think the reason you don't see a lot of Kimbers being built is because they're expensive to begin with and there aren't a lot of donor actions out there. They shoot fairly well from the factory with the light weight barrels so I don't doubt they'd shoot well with a heavier match grade barrel. Kimber has really crappy customer service but they do build a pretty nice rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to build on one if the price was right for a donor. When bedding I like to bed the tang area, all around the recoil lug, and the chamber portion of the barrel. I would not bed the entire barrel. Good luck and keep us posted.

With the Montana having a Stainless Steel Barrel I doubt it has been shot out. If you get the rifle the first thing I would check is the firing pen strike on the primer. The Montana has an adjustable firing pen and may have been miss adjusted or the set screw was not tightened properly and the firing pen has backed out.

I have a Montana in 300 WSM, It is my go to rifle for hunting in bad weather.

I do not know if the longer action has any flex that would cause a problem.
The action to me is a great one for its features. 1. Full Mauser extractor and full loadingl shell control. 2. Adjustable firing pin like a Sako. 3. 3 Position side safety like a Model 70 Winchester. 4. The easiest bolt dis-assembly of any action I have with the pop it ball setup. Good Luck if you go for this rifle.

I have a 280AI Montana located that according to the owner has a "shot out barrel". I can get it at a great price and was thinking about picking it up and doing a custom build off of it. However, after reading around, Im a little uncertain of how rigid the actions are.
I can't seem to find any RECENT information where anyone has built on a Kimber action. However what little bit I can find, it seems people question the light weight action flexing too much to be worth messing with.
I can't help but believe that they would be fine for a custom build as the actions are VERY smooth and craftsmanship is outstanding. My thoughts would be to go up one barrel contour over the standard Montana and have the barrel fluted and either free floated or bedded all the way to the end. Thoughts??

I agree with others; they normally retail ~$1200, what are you considering a great price?

Well I guess I waited too long, I was just informed by the owner that he sold it last night for 650.00.
I was just being greedy I guess as I still have a BRAND NEW Montana 280AI that I bought a couple weeks ago that I haven't even had time to set up and shoot yet. Guess I probably should get that one set up and make sure I even like the Montana's before I go trying to buy up more of them just to build off of....lmao

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.