Kids gear

mooretitan

I am getting ready for a very important deer hunt this winter. I drew basically the best hunt that you can in California and would like my 8 1/2 year old son to be part of it. The hunt can be as easy or as hard as I want. Since this is a once in a life time hunt I am going to take it serious and do whatever needs to be done to put a good one down. a 180-200 inch deer is the goal and is reasonable if the right time is put in. I have taken my son on lots of hunts the last few years and he has slowed me down some put nothing to the point where I have not wanted him there. I am going to give him a few extreme hikes leading up to it just to make sure he knows that it takes to go.

The problem I am running into is his gear.
1. The boots that he has a keep ankle type boots that fill with sand and stickers pretty easy and are not going to get it done in a december hunt with snow and rain. Who makes a good youth size 13 or kids size 1 that is water proof and a mid to high calf boot.
2. what socks are the same size foot and are good quality
3. Pants - he is around 45lbs not very big. I need a solid pair of pants that are some what water proof and can take a beating. We will be off the beaten path most of the time.
4. Same thing for jackets and layering gear.

I know that he is going to out grow must of the stuff before it wears out but he does have younger siblings that they can be passed down to.

Agin this is a december hunt that could be cold and wet and i want to make him as comfortable as possible or he will not be able to go. I have no problem leaving him home if i can't find the right gear but I do believe that it would be special to share with him and is probably going to be able to physically able to keep up.

Thanks

I know Sitka makes a pair of youth pants that look like the timberline pant, and they have good reviews. Best of luck on your hunt! I cant wait until my daughters are old enough to come with me!

1. Boots alone won't work as he is to small. Buy boots that fit well and women's or men's small waterproof gators. That will give him the leg protection
2. Pants are hard because he is small. Buy camogun) pants in his size and use spray on waterproofing.
3 jacket get a shell to layer. I've had good luck with game hide gear for kids. It seems be a good value. Hope this helps.

Gators work great for kids...check out Outdoor Research running gators in small...they fit well over kids hiking boots.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.