kestrell 4500 with applied ballistics

class3nfa

First off I would like to thank everyone on the forum. The information exchanged on the site is priceless. This is my first post so I'll just come out with it. What are the thoughts from the shooting world regarding the Kestrell 4500 with applied ballistics. I love the idea of a combination weather meter and ballistic program in one unit but I would like to hear from other shooters who have used it before laying down the cash. Thank you again for a great forum

Love mine. It is a great learning tool. It is very close to G7 ballistics that I have played with for a long time. Add a 1600 and you are in business.

Thanks Geo seems a lot easier having a weather meter and a ballistics program in one unit. Has anyone from the forum done a product review?

I love mine. It is a serious tool for accurate long rang hunting and shooting. I was drawn to it because i was looking for a wind meter. When i saw everthing it does i was sold, them i bought one and love it. I put all the success of 2 bull elk one shot kills @ 570yrds and 608yrds to this tool. I have range finder binoculars and the kenstrel so i am only packing 2 things instead of binos, rangefinder, wind meter, balistics app device or range card, a way to get temperature, barometer, compass. The only down i have about it is the cost, but well worth it and a great investment in my opinion

Yes it does all the atmosphere and uses it in calculating drop wind. Plus allot more

I too have the Kestrel 4500 AB, Generally speaking it does the job of multiple units very well.. it saves space in a backpack by eliminating those units. I've tested mine on a number of calibers as far as 1315 yards, far as my range can reach* Just as long as your inputs are correct, the solutions will be too.. I like the feature of "two" velocities for different temperatures. In one particular rifle, that feature (in my opinion) paid for the unit in it-self..

However, there is one problem with those units. Pretty certain Doc will vouch here, he addressed it in a separate thread not long ago, it relates to the batteries and cold weather use... and I've noted the problem on mine act up someplace around 10deg F ~ At temperatures below that, the lithium batteries start acting funny and the unit doesn't work too good. We were out last week in -14 F temps, with some wind-chill on top of that, my Kestrel first was stubborn to turn on (lithium battery thing) but even once it did, the Baro-pressure wouldn't read, elevation wouldn't register, temperature wouldn't register.. and the solutions I was getting thru my (otherwise very accurate AB info) were way out to lunch* I will say though, the windmeter portion of it, did work in the cold. So long as it would turn on, that much was somehow okay.

EXTREME COLD WEATHER ASIDE THOUGH, they are awesome... and they-are very accurate. The extreme cold just isn't where they shine. Most guys don't shoot when it's that cold... I do because somedays those-days are the ones I can get away to shoot, other-days I just like to know where the limits of my gear are.. and the applied ballistics portion anyway, of the Kestrel, is crippled by the cold. Unfortunately.
If kept in an inside pocket, it can still be used under those conditions as a basic windmeter, but over and above that, be sure to-have proven drop data with-you to make your shot, IF it's very-very cold*

Does the unit automatically enter atmospheric data into the ballistics program?

I too have the Kestrel 4500 AB, Generally speaking it does the job of multiple units very well.. it saves space in a backpack by eliminating those units. I've tested mine on a number of calibers as far as 1315 yards, far as my range can reach* Just as long as your inputs are correct, the solutions will be too.. I like the feature of "two" velocities for different temperatures. In one particular rifle, that feature (in my opinion) paid for the unit in it-self..

However, there is one problem with those units. Pretty certain Doc will vouch here, he addressed it in a separate thread not long ago, it relates to the batteries and cold weather use... and I've noted the problem on mine act up someplace around 10deg F ~ At temperatures below that, the lithium batteries start acting funny and the unit doesn't work too good. We were out last week in -14 F temps, with some wind-chill on top of that, my Kestrel first was stubborn to turn on (lithium battery thing) but even once it did, the Baro-pressure wouldn't read, elevation wouldn't register, temperature wouldn't register.. and the solutions I was getting thru my (otherwise very accurate AB info) were way out to lunch* I will say though, the windmeter portion of it, did work in the cold. So long as it would turn on, that much was somehow okay.

EXTREME COLD WEATHER ASIDE THOUGH, they are awesome... and they-are very accurate. The extreme cold just isn't where they shine. Most guys don't shoot when it's that cold... I do because somedays those-days are the ones I can get away to shoot, other-days I just like to know where the limits of my gear are.. and the applied ballistics portion anyway, of the Kestrel, is crippled by the cold. Unfortunately.
If kept in an inside pocket, it can still be used under those conditions as a basic windmeter, but over and above that, be sure to-have proven drop data with-you to make your shot, IF it's very-very cold*

So to address both of these. Yes atmospheric data is automatically input in to the firing solution.

We also have an update 4.85 which helps address some of the stability. While their is nothing we can do about the affect cold weather has on batteries, we have made the unit a little more cold friendly.

I have the Kestrell with Horus Ballistics.

I team it up with my Leica 1600B rangefinder when using my 338 Lapua.

Makes a great combination

Money well spent for the Long range shooter.

Thank you for the input. Sounds like a great unit as long as your aware of the temperature sensitivity.Thats what I like about the forum ask a question and you will find someone who has had experience with it. Looks like I'm going shopping!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.