Kestrel

benny1

Trying to decide on a kestrel. Pros vrs cons? Are they worth it with ballistic programs or is it just as good to have one and just run what program I have? Does the Bluetooth work to rangefinder out in counrty?

5700 with AB. Buy once, cry once. Mine links to the laser binos and my phone no matter where I am.

I can use Kestrel Link or AB or the Vortex app. I haven't been in a situation where one part (Kestrel, binos, phone) goes down, but there's redundancy in the system that way.

Last edited:

You can use the arrow keys to put wind into the binos manually and get the solution from them, you can punch the range into the Kestrel and get the solution on it, or run any of the various apps on the phone that links parts of these together.

I don't think there's an app that will pull the wind from the Kestrel and range from the binos automatically at the same time, I usually put the distance and wind into the AB app on my phone manually.

Either you want a kestrel link with a rangefinder or just the kestrel elite.

As far as is it worth it, is you're shot worth it?

Pro- kestrel is dumb proof. Relatively🤔 I'm sure someone has tested that.
Con- you still have to know what the data means.

Pro- AB software is some of the best out there
Con- wind is only at your location

Pro-kestrel has advanced settings for advanced users. Like the quick wind function. Most of us that know what it is (most military snipers) already know how to do it in our head, it's nice to verify.

Con- still have to know how wind works.

Pro-accurate to within 1 mph
Con- still have to know what that means, and how to negotiate between wind average and high wind.

Pro- stand alone unit (or as mentioned above), or can be stacked with redundancies. One lithium AA has been more reliable for me than my phone on day 5 in the field.

Con- batteries are batteries. Bring an extra.

Like the SIG/Sauer BDX KILO3000 rangefinder binoculars these Vortex rangefinder binoculars also have Bluetooth and work with Bluetooth enabled Kestrel 5700 weather meters/ballistic engines but would likely also work with SIG's Sierra6 BDX Bluetooth enabled rifle scopes IF it can be paired.