Kentucky Elk Hunting

I have put in for 9 years I have got drawn for a Cow this year. Still happy. There are a lot of people from all the states putting in every year. Chances are slim but after 9 years guess I am fortunate. Reason they put in is because out of state license is very cheap from out of state in Ky. At lease Kentucky is getting funds for there Elk

I've been putting in for about the last 5 years. Never been drawn. Honestly, I don't personally know anyone who has been drawn for anything. I work with a lot of guys who have been putting in every year to no avail. Kinda disheartening, I wish there was some sort of preference point system. That way, at least I would know that maybe in 20 years, I'll be able to hunt elk in my own home state. That would also eliminate those people who've been drawn multiple times.

I have put in for the total 20 years and have never drawn, some people have drawn multiple times, its a jacked up system.

I live in Kentucky have been putting in for Elk tak for over 9 years. Got drawn for a cow tag this year 2016. Just about everybody in KY puts in for Elk tag. Good Luck It will probably never happen to
me again.

Late follow up, but I got a 6x6 bull with my crossbow. The mid September weather was very hot last fall and the elk were not responding to the calls but on day six one came in. Having a bugling bull in close was a new (and good) experience for me. I'll be sitting on the sidelines for three years before I can apply again.

Late follow up, but I got a 6x6 bull with my crossbow. The mid September weather was very hot last fall and the elk were not responding to the calls but on day six one came in. Having a bugling bull in close was a new (and good) experience for me. I'll be sitting on the sidelines for three years before I can apply again.
Congratulations, scf!

Did you have a tough time getting your elk out?

A Kentucky pal told me a while back the state's good elk country has very few access roads. He is no longer a hunter and what he told me is second hand info.

It took about 5 hours with 3 people and a side by side atv.
Wow! That was a lot of work! Some hunters would certainly not be up to it. It would certainly be a must to be in good shape.

One of my sons is a guide in Arizona. I haven't asked him how he gets elk out but probably about the same way you do.

I put in about 9 years ago. Haven't since until this year. Put in for a cow rifle tag. I have a coworker from down there that has a cousin that leases 1800 acres for elk hunting. I figure if I strike out on a bull in Colorado I could get a cow for the freezer if drawn. I know many guys at work that have drawn a tag. The guy that owns property across from me took the new state record last year. He had been putting in the draw for 15 years.
outdoorhub-hunters-state-record-elk-kentucky-confirmed-2015-12-16_18-15-52-824x600.jpg
The shot was 322 yards with a 300 mag. It green scored 408 3/8 and final scored at 377 5/8.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.