Keep an eye on any new Nosler Brass! Update

Re: Keep an eye on any new Nosler Brass

Still most concerned they NOT care. Been Nosler advocate for years but NOT today. At least if it says Norma on the headstamp it was MADE by NORMA not Federal or who knows where. Have paid last big money for Nosler brass. Told customer rep maybe they need to stick to bullets!!!

Nosler customer rep told me I needed to adjust load following known loading practices, told him I would adjust this batch into the TRASH CAN! And he didn't care!

Tee hee hee...:D
Puts a whole new meaning on weight sorting cases!
Thanks for letting us know. I've read so much conflicting information on the quality and source of Nosler cases over the past 5 years that I lost all confidence in Nosler brass. Which is the biggest reason I've never purchased it. A literal crap shoot!

The one consistency over the long haul is Lapua brass.

Norma brass used to have soft, easily expanded case heads which led to short case life due to expanded primer pockets. I hear it can be good & tough now, but again, I lost confidence and never went back to it over the past 20 years. Fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice - shame on me... Maybe I need to lighten up? :)

I have been wanting to add some more 300 WSM to my Cash. I had considered getting some Nosler Brass till I heard it was being made by Norma. In the 1964 my Father in Law got me a box of Norma 243 Win. shells. I came home from the service to go deer hunting. I had to shoot a buck 3 times to get him to lay on the ground at 25yds. The 100 gr. Tri-clad bullet Norma made at the time may have been a good Elk load but too hard for deer. Exit hole through chest was about 1/2 inch. I pulled the remaining bullets after shooting through a 14" white oak tree.

A friend loaded the box of Norma 243 Win Brass with 100 gr. Sierra for me to hunt, Deer season 1965. Had not got my reloading equipment back together after serving in the Army. I was deer hunting with these shells, Put my hand in my pocket to get my pocket knife out and when I looked at my hand there was some sticks of powder with my knife. Pulled the shells out and found 2 cases had lost their primers. When I started back loading in 1966 I lost about 6 or 8 of that 20 cases to loose primer pockets. I am like phowath. My saying learned from my grandfather. 'Cheat Me Once Is Your Fault, Cheat Me Twice Is My Fault."

Been bugging me, What 223 Rem. brass to get for my new play gun.

I have been wanting to add some more 300 WSM to my Cash. I had considered getting some Nosler Brass till I heard it was being made by Norma. In the 1964 my Father in Law got me a box of Norma 243 Win. shells. I came home from the service to go deer hunting. I had to shoot a buck 3 times to get him to lay on the ground at 25yds. The 100 gr. Tri-clad bullet Norma made at the time may have been a good Elk load but too hard for deer. Exit hole through chest was about 1/2 inch. I pulled the remaining bullets after shooting through a 14" white oak tree.

A friend loaded the box of Norma 243 Win Brass with 100 gr. Sierra for me to hunt, Deer season 1965. Had not got my reloading equipment back together after serving in the Army. I was deer hunting with these shells, Put my hand in my pocket to get my pocket knife out and when I looked at my hand there was some sticks of powder with my knife. Pulled the shells out and found 2 cases had lost their primers. When I started back loading in 1966 I lost about 6 or 8 of that 20 cases to loose primer pockets. I am like phowath. My saying learned from my grandfather. 'Cheat Me Once Is Your Fault, Cheat Me Twice Is My Fault."

Been bugging me, What 223 Rem. brass to get for my new play gun.

I run once fired LC brass in my 223's (all AR's), have had really good luck with them. IMO, pretty decent brass considering I can get 1000 cleaned, deprimed and swagged for about $100 delivered. I separate by year class, generally I get a dominant year class that runs about 60% of lot. 07 is the hot year right now for the last lot that I got...

You guys really need to revisit Norma. Their WSM cases are the best available period! My Norma made 300 WM, 338 RUM (Nosler) and 300 RUM cases (300 RUM and 338 Edge) have been through hell on their first few firings, the 338 RUM cases are up to fifteen now, and the pockets are still tight. There were a few 338 RUM cases that died at a dozen firings because of case head expansion caused from being pressure tested with above max loads early on, but a dozen firings is still three times the case life over what I got from RP 338 RUM brass in the same rifle at 40 fps less velocity than what I comfortably achieve with the Norma/Nosler cases.

I don't totally disagree with you guys with the opinion of Norma being soft. I had a soft batch of 7RM a few years ago that died early, but I've never seen a soft batch of WSM cases in the last 11 years of exclusive use. Also, ever since RP quit producing 300 RUM brass as a component, I switched to Norma cases. I'm glad I did, because the Norma cases were an instant upgrade in regards to the quality and consistency with up to four times the case life of RP brass.

Good to know on the recent quality of Norma's WSM and RUM brass. That's why I added "Maybe I need to lighten up?". The vast majority of others have spoken highly of their Norma brass on this Forum over the past 5 years also, at least in some cartridges.

You did have a soft batch of Norma 7mm Rem Mag brass several years ago. That's the cartridge the OP is purchasing brass for. I hope he receives tougher brass than you received.

I just placed an order for 223 Rem brass. I ordered Lapua. It wasn't any more expensive than Nosler or Norma. Lapua and RWS are the only two brands of brass I've used that always demonstrated tough primer pockets. My experience is consistent with that of others, based on internet Forum scuttlebutt.

At an additional $0.01 per brass casing, it was a simple decision. But Lapua's brass offerings are fairly limited, so good to know that Norma brass is more consistently tough these days.

100 count - .223 Rem brass from MidwayUSA web site:
$62.99 Nosler for 100 cases
$62.99 Norma for 100
$63.99 Lapua for 100

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.