New Hornady 300 WSM brass... Any good?

tailbon3

Anyone got some hands-on experience with the Hornady's 300 WSM component brass? Is it good stuff? It's definitely more affordable than Norma.

Anyone got some hands-on experience with the Hornady's 300 WSM component brass? Is it good stuff? It's definitely more affordable than Norma.

I've had great luck with hornady brass. Not quite as good as norma or lapua but considering the price difference i would give hornady the edge . That said.. i cant recall seeing hornady in 300wsm

Hornady just started making 300WSM brass this year. Cabelas has it for sale online (backordered last I checked). I imagine others have it too.

If you have a Cabela's near your home they might still have Winchester 300wsm brass available OTC. Wouldn't you know it within a few weeks of my spending $90 for 100 pieces of pulled Federal 300wsm brass (GunBroker) Cabela's first had it in stock by MO then available OTC. I have since bought enough (I hope) to shoot out several barrels. I STRONGLY advise you buy all you can afford as I waited well over a year (IIRC something like 18-20 months) for ANYONE ANYWHERE to have affordable 300wsm brass in stock made by Win, Rem, Fed, or Hornady.

Yes I could always find 300wsm brass made by Norma or Lapua and a little less often Nosler, but I was looking at, IIRC $60-$80 per 50 VS $38 per 50 for Winchester. I agree Norma and Lapua brass is superior, but for my applications it was cost prohibitive. Heck back when I could find zero affordable brass to reload with I stumbled on to a great deal on Federal Power Shok loaded ammo for the same price as Lapua brass, so I bought 100 rounds. To my utter delight my Tikka loves the Federal Power Shok averaging a hair above MOA.

I wish you all the luck finding 300 wsm brass because I was told by several so called "reliable net sources" that Winchester as well as Federal only make limited runs of Short Mag brass a couple of times a year now. I was never able to confirm this as true, but based on my only finding 300wsm brass in stock on a single occasion in at least the last 18 months, there might just be some truth to the limited run statement.

Forgot to add have 300 pieces of Hornady brass in 35 Remington and are EXTREMELY happy with it. Good thing to because it has been the ONLY 35 Remington Brass I could find for sale.

Last I looked about 3-4 months ago before I bought some loaded ammo and pulled down Federal brass, I saw Lapua , Nosler, and Norma brass at places like Midsouth, Natchez SS and Midway, not many places IIRC had the Lapua, I know Cabelas had it available OTC by me, but most often it was Norma and Nosler, with Lapua to a lesser extent.

Right now Midway has Nosler, Norma and Hornady 300wsm in stock, but it aint no bargain. I paid $38/50 for Winchester OTC at Cabelas. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I have had no experience with Hornady 300WSM brass since it looks like it is just being offered. I do have a lot of experience with many different makes of Short mag brass and I have some strong opinions. First Norma is the best Short mag brass, and it is worth the extra cost. In the last couple of months I have been loading Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass and I have been impressed with it, so it may be worth a try in 300 WSM.

I ordered some from Midsouth back in March. It's arriving tomorrow. I've got Norma, Nosler, Winchester and Remington to compare it to. I'm interested to see. For about $1 a piece, if it's as good as Hornady usually is, I'll be ecstatic. I can't afford Norma or Nolser on a regular basis, and can't find Win. or Rem. So I'm hoping this will be my new go to. If it stays in stock. I've seen it on Natchez as well, but Midsouth was the cheapest I found. FYI, Powder Valley had Win. in stock a few days ago. Not sure if it still is.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.