K31 Swiss Accuracy Test

Unofficial Gun Addict (UGA)

Heya Guys....

This is my first video so be gentle on me! I wanted to upload some footage from the first range trip with my recently acquired 1944 K31 Swiss. I scoured YouTube looking for good videos on accuracy and there were some amazing long-distance open-sight shots out at 1000+ yards, however, trying to get a feel for what the average K31 could do with no modifications to the barrel & stock was challenging to say the least. So, I decided to go out and throw some lead (figuratively speaking) downrange to give you all a sense of what this rifle can do with GP11 (standard Swiss military ammunition) at reasonable distances.

After shooting the gun and making just one modification to the torque of both rear & front barrel bands, I have no doubt that with some tweaking, a stock K31 in good condition (most are), should be capable of sub-moa accuracy , especially if you reload (.308 Berger VLD's will be seeing this rifle very soon.... I'll post some video when that day comes). We had one group with the GP11 that I didn't show in the video because we were just setting up and getting on paper at 100 yards that literally bug-holed a 3 round group.

Some may ask below why we pull out the cartridges from the receiver: We noticed that if we ejected the brass with force, it dented the mouth of the cartridge when it flew into the scope mount (this will be remedied shortly by getting a rubber buttpad and sliding the mount rearward a bit). As we intend to use the brass, we didn't want to have all our cases deformed.

Thanks for watching and I hope to get more videos up soon. All feedback welcome as I have a lot of learning to do when it comes to video editing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9keFa59GLM

For a 1st video, that was actually pretty good in my opinion! I love the K-31 and wish I had my other rifles set and done so I could grab one! Well done sirgun):D

For a 1st video, that was actually pretty good in my opinion! I love the K-31 and wish I had my other rifles set and done so I could grab one! Well done sirgun):D

I realized when doing it that I've got a lot to learn about video editing. My goal is to create stategies to reduce editing time, so as to not spend my entire life sitting behind the computer, but out in the field doing! Thanks for your encouragement 7mmShooter! I am very pleased so far with my K31 swiss... and if it's a rifle you want... I'd say get one! A lot of people paid a hundred or so dollars for theirs so if they don't spend a lot of time looking at some of the crazy prices on Gunbroker, you might be able to pick one up for a reasonable price. It's a lot of rifle for the money. Very impressed so far, although I will have to work on refining it's accuracy. I do think it is capable, just have to get the tension on the tang & barrel bands right, and some loads developed.

Agreed... fun video! I was lucky enough to pick up a fairly nice k31 20 years ago. The quality of build for the era it was made is pretty phenomenal.
I don't have a scope on it but the way it shoots at 100 yards with open sights is pretty crazy good. I found a load that hits at point of impact perfectly with the sites. My only negative on it is that I wish it was a little more compact and lighter so I could carry it through the brush for Wisconsin deer hunting. It just doesn't match up good for that lol!

Agreed... fun video! I was lucky enough to pick up a fairly nice k31 20 years ago. The quality of build for the era it was made is pretty phenomenal.
I don't have a scope on it but the way it shoots at 100 yards with open sights is pretty crazy good. I found a load that hits at point of impact perfectly with the sites. My only negative on it is that I wish it was a little more compact and lighter so I could carry it through the brush for Wisconsin deer hunting. It just doesn't match up good for that lol!

Thank kraky! Yeah... there's no doubt that the Swiss didn't hold back when producing a quality firearm. My eyes are such that open sights are a thing of the past, but the Swiss Products aluminum mount sure makes it pleasant to shoot with the scope. The only downside, is the particular one piece scope mount that I choose sits perfectly in place to make the ejected rounds bump the left side of the back scope ring, denting the mouth of every case we extract with force (this is why we are pulling them out manually... we noticed that the initial cases were all deformed on the mouth). I will be putting a rubber buttpad on the rifle so as to give it a little longer length of pull, which should then allow me to move the scope back some, hopefully preventing damage to cases with the proper extraction force.

On the weight... I hear you. Not sure it is a firearm I'd love hiking up and down Idaho mountains, but I think it will be something I'll try to use in the flatter desert terrains this coming fall. Lots of deer and elk to be found there. It'd sure be nice to get the K31 out for some real field use.

I'll try to post a review of both the Swiss Products brake & mount, as well as the dovetail one-piece that I found to be incredibly solid (most are built for .22 cals).

Appreciate the feedback! I've already spent the day editing the original and keeping the gray matter engaged so as to produce something a little more refined next time! You can let me know if it was worth it!! Take care man and keep shooting straight!

Boss

Alright... I know you guys have seen this once.... but if you could review my revision, I'd be eternally grateful. Also, if you've got any constructive criticism for me, I would be appreciative. I'd like to treat this video editing gig like my shooting and reloading. There's no sense in doing a shoddy job!

Revised Version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1zHlf1KPvE

Thanks in advance!

As a side note... I'm trying to get started building a youtube channel that has lots of reviews for anything hunting related. This is where any and all ideas are welcome as I start to form ideas to improve the craft!

I have to admit these rifles surprised me as to how accurate they were even with surplus ammo they shoot very well.

Get you some IMR 4064 and some 155 or 168 gr Match bullets and use Sierra's suggested accuracy loads and you will not be disappointed.
I use the Nosler 155 custom competition seated ten thousands off the lands in a Prvi case crimped with a Lee Factory Crimp Die and it is dog nuts accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.