Swiss K31 Rebarreling/Rechambering

375rifleman

Hello everyone, I was wondering if a Swiss K31 could be Rebarreled/Rechambered to a WSM Based Cartridge or WSSM Based Cartridge ? Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

Jerry M thank you for telling me the possible issues with rechambering a Swiss K31 to a WSM or WSSM Based Cartridge. I was thinking about rechambering a K31 to one of the B&M Cartridges. It's unfortunate that it won't work but I guess I'll just have to go in another direction. I wonder what would work in a K31 I think that cartridges based on the 284 Winchester might work but I was wanting to go big bore. Also would cartridges made for AR-15/AR-10 work within the K31 case length and pressure limits ? Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

I love my K31. I have all the "stuff" for it. The barrel dust cover, the scope mount that attaches to the action screws. The scope is mounted. I take it out, wipe it, work the action, dust the wood and put it back. I have never fired it. I have brass, bullets and dies, just haven't gotten a roundtuit. I have a lot of roundtuits I need to get to.

My feelings are:
  • It's a very nice and accurate rifle the way it is.
  • The GP11 equivalent ammo, while a little light loaded is very accurate and has as much power as a 308.
  • The action really can't take high bolt loads. Not saying it's not strong, however, it's not intended for magnum power levels.
What is your goal?

Would a 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, 50 Beowulf or cartridges designed for the AR-15/AR-10 work within the K31's Cartridge length and pressure limits ? Thanks in advance for for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

Would a 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom, 50 Beowulf or cartridges designed for the AR-15/AR-10 work within the K31's Cartridge length and pressure limits ? Thanks in advance for for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

They all have serious challenges that would make it difficult or not work.

What is your goal?

Ain't nothing wrong with the 7.5x55. It will do anything a 308 Win will do with ease and most will shoot about as good as rifles that cost thousands more. I have three K31s and all are accurate but one is just down right accurate. I bought them a few years ago but don't have the cost of a Wal-Mart Rem-Rugage in all three. The scope mount cost more than the best shooter did. :D

Thanks, and I know there's abosutely nothing wrong with the 7.5x55 I just like brush cartridges that will drop most if not all big game before they can take another step with good shot placement and the right load. I also figured that the action is every bit as strong as an AR-15/AR-10 . Cartridges designed for the AR's should be within the size limitations of the Swiss K31 .

I'm trying to make a big bore (8mm or bigger) scout rifle using a Swiss K31 as the base platform.
There are lots of options if you go wildcat. It's actually easier than trying to make the rifle into something it's not.

Is that an option for you?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.