Just what is the definition of long range shooting....

This post was kind of an experiment to prove a point. How many times have we heard this question. The number of different answers you will get will most often be the exact number of different people you ask the question to.

Point is, we all have to decide for ourselves what a long range shot is and there is no way to put a specific yardage to it.

Now obviously taking big game at 1000 yards is long range in anyones book, from the novice up to the most experienced long range hunter out there. But while some may not feel 500 yards is long range shooting, others feel this is a VERY long way.

I think the point to this board is to help everyone on it become a more proficent long range hunter and the limits on yardage must be decided upon by those behind the trigger. All we do here is help educate each other so that we can find out more accurately what Long range means to each of us individually.

That whitetail I just took in Idaho at 850 yards was to me a LONG way over across that canyon. The shot was not difficult but a serious poke in my mind. Others on this board, MANY others have taken game much farther away then that and they may feel this is not really long range.

Set your own personal limits and practice to extend your range consistantly and proficently and it does not really matter what others feel I suppose is my opinion.

Thanks for the replies and very good comments from all. Please continue with your opinions as they are interesting to read the varied opinions on the topic and the best thing is that every one of the opinions are correct for those typing them!!

Kirby Allen(50)

thanks kirby, I admire this forum and what the good folks here can do with a rifle and I appreciate the way knoledge of the sport is shared here, and the understanding ability of the folks who post here, I've killed deer much farther than the doe in my last post but I'm as proud of that shot as any I ever made, why? because for once, everything worked like it sposed to so I must be learning something. wih the help, advise, and pointers that I've gotten from this forum there was no luck involved, the skills I've learned from here and pratice placed the bullet exactly where I wanted it. Thanks to all of you.
JS

Growing up, I started hunting with my parents when I was able to keep up going to the stand and know what be quiet meant. I shot my first deer at 6 from a box blind at a range of about 60 yds and that seemed a LONG was off. When I hit my teens, I had been shooting several different calibers and knew which ones were better suited for hunting the open pastures, verses the back woods on our place. The pastures could provide shots out to 400yds in several directions, but the rule was it had to be inside the cross fences or let it walk. Well I had to sit a let some nice deer walk due to not shooting past 200 or 250 yds depending on just which pasture or stand I was hunting. After several years of thie I had enough and started to stretch my legs so to speak and practice for longer targets, 300 was then set as my limit.

Several years later, I purchased a 25-06 to replace the .243 I had hunted with most of my life. Not that the 243 was not enough gun, just I wanted something with a little more punch through the wind. I had access to several bigger calibers, but went with the 25 as it was fast and flat. With this rifle I extended my comfort zone out to 400yds and was deadly accurate out to there in just about any conditions I hunted in. I shoot year round with which ever rifle i am most often in the field with. This gives me the practical knowledge of what it does in varied conditions and from varied rest positions.

Most of this regement comes from the fact that if my Pop heqard me shoot or found an empty case, he wanted to see results in one form or fashion. Basically bullets cost money so you had better not just be shooting to be shooting. Target practice was the only exception to not bringing something back to the kitchen.

I have had the great fortune to hunt with my bud Tim for the past years on their place. Ranges there can stretch out as far as you feel like shooting in some areas and in others you are lucky if you can see past 25 - 50yds. We are both somewhat competitive in our shooting skills and our hunting. This makes being out hunting together not only more fun but more of a challenge. Year before last we were having a horrible time with the feral hogs. I started looking into shooting at longer ranges to add something different to our management bag for the hogs. I found this site and was simply amazed at some of the ranges at which things were being hit on a consistant basis.

Being how I am, I had to work with what I had to begin with which was a Sendero in 7 mag. This is a great rifle but just lacked the flash and power of the new Allen Mags. I talked with Kirby for a while before he finially got my first installment on my new rifle. About a year later, my new long range adventure began in earnest. Both Tim and I have raised our standards of shooting to new levels. Not only using the Allen MAgs, and other specialized equipment, but also using our standard factory rifles. When we first set up our first steel plate at 500yds, we thought **** thats a hell of a long ways out there. However now, we can regularily hit it with just about any of our rifles. Our deer hunting which is something we take totally seriously, is still generally less than 200yds on 98% of all we take. However with the knowledge and practice we have gained over the past two years and the info from members who post here, we can if needed hit out to further distances with confidence.

I would like to think we are both dedicated to the game we pursue, and that we will not take chances on a shot, just to try and bag the animal. For deer, I have put 400yds at my max simply due to the variety of things that can happen in the split second from standing perfectly still, to one step while I am squeezing the trigger. So far, this has worked well for me and everything I have hit at over 200yds has dropped on the spot. This is however in perfect conditions, and as they change so does the max range I would take a shot . As for the hogs or coyotes, well if I think I can hit them, now that I have the equipment to do so, anything out to 1000 in the right winds is fair game.

My ganrdson is now taking up most of my time in the wopods. He started out at 50 yds hitting somewhat of what he was aiming at, and now has reached out and run a gong at 200yds. To him this might as well have been a mile long shot, and his practical huting range is still the 50 yd blind and feeder we set up.

In the years I have been following boards like this I have found that this topic will always be as jaded as which pick up is the best on the market.

Hey guys, sorry to hijack the thread but I had to give Kirby Allen another big thanks for the 338Edge he built for me. I am at Camp Shelby Mississippi mobilizing to go back to Iraq. I got to go home on block leave over Thanks Giving and shot a really nice 11point Arkansas wall hanger. This is my first deer with it and it is almost 2 years old. I was deployed last deer season and didn't get to hunt w/it. I was hunting a large powerline clearcut and was watching 10 doe feed at 750 yards. I really wanted to see what a 300gr SMK would do on an animal bigger than a coyote or crow and would have shot but my 16X-SS wasn't designed for early morning hunting and I couldn't see SH@#! So I sat there for 30 minutes and had 2 young bucks come out and chased the doe around for a while. I was enjoying the show and desided to rattle a little and see what happened. I rattled for about 30 seconds, put the rattle bag down, and out popped my buck ready to fight. Well I took the fight to him from 450 yards out. I hit him through both shoulders and was really impressed with the damage. Alot of damaged meat up front but I want my deer to die on the spot(had a big buck run once and get stollen). I couldn't be more satisfied! Wish I could take it with me. Thanks Again!

Bravo 4

Good hunting story and as Sniper 2 said, Take care.

As far as long range goes, I pretty much agree with what has been said. Age/experience of the shooter, equipment being used, size of the target and the amount of wind all going into the determination.

Brave 4,
Sincere thank you for what you and all of your brothers-in-arms are doing. Wish you a safe tour. Hope you can stay in touch with this board.

For me 300 yards is longrange of course after reading a few of these boards for a month now I am ready to start practicing at longer ranges just to see if I can do it.

Bravo 4

I was just wondering how you were doing and if you made it back from the sand box. Glad to hear you did and hope you take care heading back!!!

Glad to hear the rifle is working well for you.

Take care and come home safe!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
For myself,I consider big game @ +300 yds long range.
As for yotes and prairie dogs,well....if I can spot em,they're fair game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Well i tried to post on this thread at the very beginning but for some reason it didnt take, we'll see if it works this time.

I think the true definintion of long range is different for each of us. Personnally i think around 400yds is where true long range begins since most people i know sight there rifles in so that at around 400yds they only have to aim a little over the back of a deer to make the hit. I think this is where you must start intelligently compensating for bullet drop, not ol' kentucky windage.

My personal limit is around 800yds where i feel comfortable but i am pretty confident out to 1000yds. If the day is very calm with a good range and as long as BJ has exbal with him I would take a shot past 1k but it would have to be a perfect situation. I keep a very accurate drop chart out to 1k in my ocular scope cap and all i have to change is if it is really cold I need to add in a click or 2 past 900yds.

Bravo 4, congrats on the buck and be careful bud.

take it easy
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.