Not New To Shooting Just Long Range

deadeyedoty

Hey yall, just looking for some insight here. I am new to the long range game... i have hunted and shot all of my life, just looking to extend my range haha... So i have a few questions... I will be using this set up for mostly hunting. My rifle will be chambered in .280 ackley, It is a remington model 700 CDL action i have not decided on a round yet because i have some questions on the barrel.

1.Do i need to purchase a "high end stock" or do you think my factory stock properly floated and bedded be sufficient?

2. i am considering a load with the barnes 120 GR TTSX at 55gr 4831 or 139gr Hornaday BTSP at 58gr 4831, how do i figure what barrel dimensions would work the best for those loads.

3. I will be shooting a nightforce SHV 4-14x56, is this suffecient for 500-800yd shots?

1. Initially use the factory stock and upgrade down the road if you so desire.

2. You don't. Pick one bullet, play with seating depth until satisfied then powder charge changes. Lots of opinions on load development.

3. Absolutely.

Can you elaborate on seating depth... I've always just set dept to what size the book says for overall length...

Can you elaborate on seating depth... I've always just set dept to what size the book says for overall length...

Ignore what the reloading book states as seating depth. The major advantage to reloading is to customize the load to your rifle.

Determine the COAL when the bullet is touching the lands. Start 0.010 or 0.015 off the lands and go from there. This is how I start my load development but there are others options and opinions .

Not knowing your exact reloading knowledge or experience, you may want to do some google searches on the basics of load development. Meaning its a bit difficult to help someone learn the basics of load development. No offense intended.

Even better to find an experienced local reloader to use as a short term mentor.

JMHO

Hey yall, just looking for some insight here. I am new to the long range game... i have hunted and shot all of my life, just looking to extend my range haha... So i have a few questions... I will be using this set up for mostly hunting. My rifle will be chambered in .280 ackley, It is a remington model 700 CDL action i have not decided on a round yet because i have some questions on the barrel.
Welcome. Start with an 8.5 or 9 twist and then it won't matter what bullet you decide on, you'll have an adequate enough twist rate to stabilize any of them.

1.Do i need to purchase a "high end stock" or do you think my factory stock properly floated and bedded be sufficient?
Pillar bed it and make sure it's fully free floated and it will do nicely. Be sure though after removing material from the channel for the bedding and floating to reseal it. On my wood stocks I'll use tung oil and just keep rubbing a little in for several days or a week until it won't accept any more and then seal it with minwax or something similar.

2. i am considering a load with the barnes 120 GR TTSX at 55gr 4831 or 139gr Hornaday BTSP at 58gr 4831, how do i figure what barrel dimensions would work the best for those loads.
140gr and up will have higher BC's and better long range trajectory. The flatter shooting benefit of the lighter bullets is lost between 400-600yds with most calibers. The heavier/higher BC bullets retain their momentum and thus velocity better.

3. I will be shooting a nightforce SHV 4-14x56, is this suffecient for 500-800yd shots?
Yes. Unless you are shooting very small targets even a 10x is adequate to get you beyond 800yds. I've shot a lot of long range rabbits with no more than 10x and even prairie dogs to 400yds plus with the same 3.5-10x44 zeiss conquest.

Ignore what the reloading book states as seating depth. The major advantage to reloading is to customize the load to your rifle.

Determine the COAL when the bullet is touching the lands. Start 0.010 or 0.015 off the lands and go from there. This is how I start my load development but there are others options and opinions .

Not knowing your exact reloading knowledge or experience, you may want to do some google searches on the basics of load development. Meaning its a bit difficult to help someone learn the basics of load development. No offense intended.

Even better to find an experienced local reloader to use as a short term mentor.

JMHO
Emphasis mine, yes, this is invaluable.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.