new to long range shooting.

joeskyline06

i have been shooting for like 11 -12 years and i just turned 18 a few weeks ago and i decided i wanted to buy my own gun in my own name and start shooting long range. i was just woundering if anyone could tell me what to expect outta my gun/scope and give me any helpful hints.
gun- savage model 10 .308 (with bipod)
scope- bsa mil-dot 6-24
then i bought 2 types of ammo. i have a pack of 50 georga arms 308's that are 150 gr b. tips and i bought a box of the federal gold match's

The newer Savage rifles generally shoot pretty good. BSA scopes are a little uncommon around here, but that doesn't mean it won't work. I wouldn't rely on it for continued dialing in elevation or windage, but if you get a good zero than it may hold it fairly well so I would utilize the power setting and the mildot for hold over rather than adjusting the knobs for distance shooting.

As for the ammo, every rifle has it's own "taste", so you will just have to try some out. Some will shoot better than others in any particular rifle. 308 has about the best selection for match grade ammo available from the factory so that is good.

Only one way to find out so go ahead and shoot some ;)

i have had 3 bushnells now and every one of them is messed up from the factory. i have swarn to never go back to bushnell. eventually i will save up enought to get a good scope but i just bought that to have untill i get a new one. any other suggestions on scopes?

I've had pretty good luck w/ Buckmasters and Monarchs. There is a big big difference between a $60 Bushnell you get at walmart and the Elite 3200's and definately the 4200 6500's. I've never owned one, but have shot with them and heard many good things about the 3200's and 4200's. Stay away from ATN, BSA or any of the sort if you want a good reliable scope for a center fire rifle. It sounds bad but you have to spend a few hundred to get a good scope in that power range. Buckmaster for 290 is about the cheapest dependable scope in a 6-18 power range.

all the bushnells i have gotten were the "banner" ones. i would like something with a good zoom to it. i sighted the gun in with the bsa scope so that way i can still shoot it but i am still lookin for a new scope i just have to save money. so would my best bet be a 3200?

if you look at the 3200 5-15x40 MD its pretty good for a round $330. I know a couple ppl that use it for LR shooting out to 1k yards. It has about 70 or so moa adjustment!

i know i will sound stupid but bear in mind i just started with the long range shooting what is a moa? i know it stands for min. of angle but thats really all i know. i used to just hunt and shoot deer up too 400 yds and now im having to figure out moa and all that stuff.

You pretty much get what you pay for. If you would be willing to spend more money in the future, Than maybe you should consider just trying the scope you have for a season and eventually upgrading to the $4-500 range? Just a thought. I have made many mistakes in the past purchasing equipment that I thought I'd be happy with only to regret it later.

Make sure you physically look through any scope (preferrably from a friend and in various conditions) prior to purchasing a similar product.

Good luck, Mark.

Joe the 5-15 3200 has 5 inches of eye relief and is a great value. I am kicking myself for passing on one for $199. I should have bought it and even though my new rifle will not be ready until May. Take your time there are some deals on ebay on occasion.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.