Just ordered my action! Barrel contour?

The Bartlein is in my top two for barrel choices. Tied with Krieger.

There is only so much powder the 30 caliber is ever going to use no matter how big the case is or how long the barrel is. The 300RUM is right there. The 30-378 of over the line for me. I wouldn't suggest getting complicated with this one. The 300RUM holds it's own just fine. 3200fps with 230's in the longer barrels. That really should do it. Then again if you want something different the Tomahawk certainly is different.

I don't really have any barrel favorites, but other than that I'm pretty much in line with the above. There is very little room to improve the 300 RUM cartridge and if I was to do so, I would go with a 30/338 LM Imp. I see only one powder being useful in the larger case and that is RL33.

To the OP, sounds like you got a good barrel there. It should stabilize everything up to the 230 Hybrid very well and seeing that you are in CO it should stabilize the 230 well also. Go for it.

I agree.. no reason to get overly complicated over 100fps gain... Dies alone are pretty rare and expensive. The rifle is gonna be kind of heavy but I'm ok with that. I don't plan on packing it very far. I'm gonna pull the trigger on the barrel and get the rest of the build parts coming. I was thinking of having Bartlein chamber and install the barrel. Is this a good idea or should I send it to a smith?? Bartlein's price is pretty reasonable.

I agree.. no reason to get overly complicated over 100fps gain... Dies alone are pretty rare and expensive. The rifle is gonna be kind of heavy but I'm ok with that. I don't plan on packing it very far. I'm gonna pull the trigger on the barrel and get the rest of the build parts coming. I was thinking of having Bartlein chamber and install the barrel. Is this a good idea or should I send it to a smith?? Bartlein's price is pretty reasonable.

I can't comment on Bartlein's quality of chambering and install. I would have my local smith do it.

You splurge on a Defiance Action, get a top tier barrel and shop $30 on getting the barrel installed? I would be conducting interviews and see who is doing it the way you want it done.

No way I'm letting the guys at the saw mill assemble my acrobatic aircraft.

Last edited:
Hmmm Good point. We don't have a "local smith" here and even if we did I wouldn't trust them either. Picking a smith seems to be one of the harder choices.. Greg Tannel of Gre-tan rifles is here in Colorado so he might be my first choice. Beyond that It seems most good smiths aren't taking anymore work right now.... might be time for the interview process lol

Hmmm Good point. We don't have a "local smith" here and even if we did I wouldn't trust them either. Picking a smith seems to be one of the harder choices.. Greg Tannel of Gre-tan rifles is here in Colorado so he might be my first choice. Beyond that It seems most good smiths aren't taking anymore work right now.... might be time for the interview process lol

Fortunately I have a good smith available locally. You might ask for recommendations in the gunsmithing forum. I know there's a few good ones in Utah.

Ordered the Bartlein barrel last night! Now I'm trying to decide if i really need the adjustable cheekpiece on the Manners T2A stock. The rifle is coming in at almost 17lbs scoped. I'm not real concerned with the added cost but dropping a full pound in weight sounds good. I planned on a 6-24x50mm scope and I'm not sure it will even be necessary to adjust the height of the cheek piece.... decisions.. decisions

The Barrel has arrived! I definitely didn't think this would be the first part I would have for this build.
NCM_0195_zpsfdd1a81d.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.