Just ordered my action! Barrel contour?

dodgefreak8

Well I just sent the payment for my Defiance Deviant action! I am building a 300 RUM, 1000yrds is my goal and I would like to get the barrel ordered since it seems that will take the longest to obtain. I have chose to go with a Broughton 5C barrel 28" finish length and I plan on having it fluted. I would like to keep the barrel weight around 6lbs and I think I like the heavy palma contour Broughton has.... but I want as much rigidity as possible. Is this a good choice on contour for a rifle that will be a target/hunting rifle?? Also I plan on shooting 210 LRAB or Berger vld's is the 1-10" twist the correct twist? Might have to shoot lighter bullets occasionally. I really appreciate any guidance offered. thanks!

If you are thinking McMillan for a stock you need to get it going right away. I'm still waiting on stocks ordered in January.

Tumbleweed just had a 300RUM done up and it's working pretty well for him. I would see what he did for a barrel and twist.

Sounds like a very nice rig you're putting together. I went with a 27" Broughton 5C 5.5 Med Varmint Sporter non-fluted. If I had to do it again, I might lean to a longer and heavier barrel. I would definitely go with a 9 twist, although the 10 twist barrels seem to shoot the 230's well, I have read a couple of issues with those bullets in 10 twists. A 9 twist will also allow me to shoot a heavier high BC monometal. 10 Twists do not shoot the CEB 200 gr C22's well at sea level.

The first 2 Broughton's I ordered came ahead of schedule in about 3 months the last one I ordered this past spring came in about a month late. So did the Manner's stock I ordered from Stocky's. Ordered both about the same time and both came in about the same time a little late.

Sounds like i better get to ordering parts! Will the 1-9" twist still allow the use of bullets down to 180gr?

Yes, but IMO, shooting a 180 bullet (unless it's a mono) is a waste of the 300 RUM cartridge. And even with mono's I like to go heavier.

Some may say you might get "over stabilization" with some lighter, shorter bullets. When it comes to hunting or shooting at short to mid ranges there is no such thing as over stabilization. At longer ranges your bullet will not "nose over" in its flight path but I haven't read any technical articles showing this to be an actual problem.

A 9 twist would be a very good twist for the 230 Berger's which IMO is the best bullet offering for the 300 RUM. If you want to shoot them, get a 9 twist, it's better to have a little too much than a little too little twist.

If you want to shoot lighter bullets, get a 10 twist.

Krieger has a 10" twist 4 groove 28" long 1.250" straight blank on the shelf. They can contour that however you want and get it to you in probably less than 30 days.

I was kind of wanting to try the 5c rifling but it would be nice to have the barrel sooner than March. I was also thinking of going to a 30" barrel for a better powder burn. Not sure ill gain much though
I'll definitely look into that krieger! Thanks for the heads up

Tactical Operations is the only company I know of that gives a 1/4" group at 100 yds guarantee on a rifle. They use Krieger 4 groove barrels.

I just found a Bartlein 5R Barrel 1-10" twist, 30" finish length, 1.250"x5.00" taper to .900" for $401shipped and in stock. After a little digging they seem like they are on par with the rest of the barrel mfg. I like the contour. Weight is going to be around 8lbs. I am actually leaning towards a longer barrel because I am considering chambering the rifle in the 300 tomahawk (300 rum improved). I think the small amount of added powder will give a slight edge with the 210-230gr bullets I would like to use. It seems the 300 tomahawk requires little case prep and I can still fire 300rum ammo. Also seems the 30" length will help with powder burn. any helpful insight regarding Bartlein barrels or the 300 tomahawk?

also regarding the twist, the research I have done indicates Nosler recommends 1-11" twist for the 210gr LRAB and Berger suggests 1-10" for the 230 hybrid. I think I would like to stick with the 1-10" twist for now. Just in case I need to shoot some of the factory 180gr rounds in a pinch.

The Bartlein is in my top two for barrel choices. Tied with Krieger.

There is only so much powder the 30 caliber is ever going to use no matter how big the case is or how long the barrel is. The 300RUM is right there. The 30-378 of over the line for me. I wouldn't suggest getting complicated with this one. The 300RUM holds it's own just fine. 3200fps with 230's in the longer barrels. That really should do it. Then again if you want something different the Tomahawk certainly is different.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.