Just got back from Kodiak island Alaska

Between the alders and the up its a wild place to hunt, hope the fall goes well.

Has been a cold spring and a brutal fall and winter, maybe it will normalize this summer.
You're right it was a cold spring that's why they said we didn't see many bears only 10 and out of 10 eight or 7-8 footers

You're right it was a cold spring that's why they said we didn't see many bears only 10 and out of 10 eight or 7-8 footers

Honestly this winter was one of the longer ones I can remember. Looking back for same day different years, I can't overstate how much longer this one was than the last 5. Can't imagine everying was out and moving like normal. Fall will be interesting items an even year so lots of fish in rivers, should be big fat fall bears.

Three things are guaranteed in Alaska hunts; steep mountains that look small...but arn't. Alders so thick you can't penetrate. Devils club, most often you'll find this when you have to grab something to get up/over an obstacle and it will be the only thing there.

Running is good, carrying a pack on rolling/steep terrain is much better IMHO. Small/light rifles and streamlining your profile will be helpful (ditch anything hanging off the belt stick it in the pack, bino harness could go either way but better to put it in the pack if you're on the move, streamlined small pack that doesn't extend above your shoulders and beyond your ribcage if possible).

Good luck on round two!

Honestly this winter was one of the longer ones I can remember. Looking back for same day different years, I can't overstate how much longer this one was than the last 5. Can't imagine everying was out and moving like normal. Fall will be interesting items an even year so lots of fish in rivers, should be big fat fall bears.
I hope so my guy told me it was a long hard winter with late snow. That's why we didn't see a lot of bears but it was fun I enjoyed every minute of it. The stalk was so exciting . And even at 350 yards that beer was huge I got a good look at him .

Ricky, that mount looks identical to my interior grizzly. I like that you kept the mouth closed on it. Never understood the open mouth snarl expression since it's not natural to me!
Exactly. I shot an almost 7' black bear in Montana last May. Missed the book by 1/8 of an inch. The taxidermist asked if I wanted the rug with the mouth open. My comment was "are you kidding me"? Not for me.

Great story!!! get ready for Fall!! Shoot , and shoot and shoot some more. maybe go to the gym once!!

I went to the gym almost every day it was a fast hunt I didn't expect to go as quick as I did I worked out almost every day for four months it was not enough the mountains kicked my *** up and down the mountain lol

Just got back from Kodiak island Alaska I was hunting brown bears. We were in the mountains **** that's tough hunting for a young man of 60 like myself. I had the right rifle my 338 378 Weatherby magnum AccuMark With a Swaro 2.5 to 10 x 56 Scope on it . We were hunting in the mountains near the American river mountain range . We saw 10 bears. But could only stock one we stocked it within 350 yards. My guide wouldn't let me shoot unless we were within 300 yards. I know I could hit it . but me being a fishing guide knowing that you should listen to the guide I didn't shoot. We sat there and watched him did some predator calls but he would not come out he was over 9 foot. So we went higher up the mountain to try to get a shot above him so we made the treacherous climb up the mountain to get above him. As we made our way back towards him we got to a plateau below him And try to sneak our way down we got to the first plateau the mountain to see it couldn't see the bear. So we snuck down to the second plateau about 300 yards above him still could not see the bear the mountain was too steep. As we walked back-and-forth above him looking to maybe be able to find a shot it was too steep the bear winded us and ran off I did not want to pull a running shot . Didn't want to wound an animal that big. So I held off the guide invited me back this fall to try again he said it'll be easier because the Bears will be in the streams. So back to Kodiak island again this fall it was a beautiful area to hunt lots of mountains. I will have to take some people's advice on here on how to train to get ready for this hunt it about killed me
Alders suck!

I went to the gym almost every day it was a fast hunt I didn't expect to go as quick as I did I worked out almost every day for four months it was not enough the mountains kicked my *** up and down the mountain lol
Gabe,
I have spent every month in a tent on the west side of Kodiak between trapping in the 80's for fox and otter and then as a fisheries biologist for the feds. Hunted up and down those mountains for the five black tails we could take then during deer season. Off season was hunting sheds etc. And a pile of fishing. The gym is excellent start but my two cents is to find a sports stadium and hit the stairs. After you can stabilize your heart rate to about 140 following five reps up and down start adding a pack with weight and you will be there. Integrate your boots, binocs, you get the idea. I was also a middle distance runner in high school and college. I learned a breathing technique we called double pumping. By using your diaphragm more efficiently you take essentially two breaths in and exhale twice out which expands and depletes your lungs to a greater capacity. I still use this when trying to catch my breath. Recovery is far quicker.

Exactly. I shot an almost 7' black bear in Montana last May. Missed the book by 1/8 of an inch. The taxidermist asked if I wanted the rug with the mouth open. My comment was "are you kidding me"? Not for me.

Nice bruin, do you have pics you could share?

Guided or on your own?