Hunting Kodiak

grinnergetter

I'll be hunting deer on Kodiak this summer. Thinking my 338 Edge is a bit overkill for a deer but having the firepower for "just in case" has it's appeal. Other option I have is 6.5 Creed....454 Casull will be on my chest.

Which would you take....Edge or 6.5 ?

I took my .270 to Kodiak last August. I'd take the 6.5.

Saw plenty of bears, no issues. If there was an issue, I'd much rather have the rifle than any pistol. Wasted weight is what that 454 would be.

i'd say take the 6.5 much lighterlightbulband also the 454 on your chest,lightbulbsounds like your Very happy with your pistol, experience counts , yes that 338 edge is more capable but theres not a bear around every bush or tree. that doesn't mean let your guard down one bit! do your home work, ask questions , be more then prepared, and have the hunt only you can Dream, great luck and please post your hunt story, regards jjmp

Hunters carrying 6.5s make for good bear snacks.

I've known hunters carrying 280s and and even 30-06 in brown bear country that learned this lesson the hard way. Notice that past tense "have known", because the guy carrying the .280 Rem is no longer with us. The top of his skull and a portion of his brain was removed by a large boar brown bear about 10 miles from where I currently sit typing this Post.

If you have no problems with problem bear(s), you can kill deer all day long with 6.5 and lesser cartridges. I suppose it comes down to, do you feel lucky enough to carry a pea-shooter. As long as your luck holds, no problems.

Last edited:
The ones I've seen had positive views by those experienced with them. One was being used in a native fish camp frequented by bears, the other around the kitchen and meat shack in the NWT.

Get yourself a can of bear spray. MUCH more effective than guns. Unless you hit the CNS on a charging bear he's gonna mess you up. Pretty tough to miss with a cloud of bear spray. I've hunted Kodiak quite a bit. Never had a problem with bears.

Take the 6.5

Aaron