Just bought a new gun now what?

alldayhunter

I bought a savage Model 12 FVSS in 270 WSM. This will be my first semi long range rifle so i decided to keep the cost down to see how well i like it and save for a more custom bigger caliber gun in the future. Right now i am trying to decide what scope to put on it and with what mounting system. I was looking at the vortex viper series in 6.5-20X44. Are these good scopes for the money. Has anyone used one how well does it track. I have a friend who put one on his 30-378 and so far so good. I figure if it can take that punishment the 270 should be no problem. I also would like to replace the cheap stock with something else. I really like the looks of the stockade and would like to keep it synthetic. Would this be a good choice or would one of the Bell and Carlson be better. Right now i am wanting to shoot 140 grain accubonds if i can find a load that will shoot well but am open to suggestions. I have seen federal loads a 110 grain for the 270 wsm but would think this to be a disadvantage at long ranges. Would this even be worth looking at or should i stick with the heavier bullets. I would like to mainly hunt deer and antelope but may try elk with it as well if everything works out. What kind of maximum ranges am i looking at with this caliber. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I have no experience with the scope you mentinoned and would not personally recommend it. Check out the scopes you see everyone here using... optics isn't where you want to skimp.

If you want to shoot long range I'd start load development with the 150gr Berger VLD. JMHO.

+1 for vld berger 150 gr. 0.545 BC will help with the wind in long range shooting.

If funds are tight, for a scope I would recommend the Super Sniper scope.

They come in fixed power of 10, 16 and 20, For Large Game, 10x is all you need for up to 1000 yards. I would not go higher the 16x.
Good Luck.

Of course there are other options but not as good looking... :rolleyes: :)

For your stock, go with one of the aftermarket models with an aluminum bedding block: HS Precision or Bell & Carlson.

For bullets, stay with the 140 and up weight class for long range shooting.

the humorous side of me says dump the rifle, get off of this site and don't listen to what any of the above say.:D:D The whole deal is an addiction. However, it's the a most rewarding addiction.

the other side of me, the addicted one, says:

Scope: Of the scopes mentioned I'd consider the Super Sniper but only under certain conditions. They are only 40mm on the objective end which doesn't do much for passing light. The 16X was useless on my LR rifle if there were clouds or the side of the mountain were shadowed.

The 10X is a better choice if light passing is a consideration. 10X is plenty good for LR in my opinion. There are stillbetter scopes out there but the SS is as consistent as a Big Mac. We have 10X on a 270 Win whthumbhole sporter and are very pleased with it.

Also 10X, if the rifle's fit is correct for you is good for some close up shooting also.

Stock: This depends on your personal preferences. For LR shooting I lean towards a specialized stock style. Not worth a squat for a carry rifle but great for the ambush situation.

Go to sharpshootersupply.com, click on Rifle Stocks then scroll down to "Classic Varminter". It has all of the features of a LR rifle stock.

Bullets: I'd select from Nosler 140 Accubonds, Berger 140s and Berger 150s. I shoot 270 cal Nosler 140 Accubonds as some major velocities and they do well. I'd use the Bergers but they won't handle the stresses of firing at the high velocity and fast twist.

I've been doing some bullets performance research and noted that BOTW has settled on a 6.5X284 as a flag ship LR platform. Heck, its plunking a 140 Berger out at 3000 MV. That's peckerwood performance in my book. You'r WSM should be able to better those numbers.

Something else for you consideration. I and others have been known to run a partial Tubbs Final Finish process through a new factory barrel. Among those that do, there is a general consensus that it helps with barrel brake in and reduction in copper fouling. I start about half way up in grit and only shoot half of each catagory. Some like the idea some don't.

Have fun and be beliveing. The journey is great.

the humorous side of me says dump the rifle, get off of this site and don't listen to what any of the above say.:D:D The whole deal is an addiction. However, it's the a most rewarding addiction.

Roy, I'm glad the other side took over the humorous side! :D

Just kidding you, humor is always good; we've got to have it from time to time! Good post!

Thanks for the advice but i have already tried golf and wasn't very good so i had to find another way to spend money before my wife did. Any way thanks for the help are there any good scopes for a budget with adjustable power or would i be better off going with a super sniper. I have a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14X44 on a savage bvss 22-250 and a nikon monarch 6-18 on a 204. Would i be better off putting one of these on the rifle. I just know in a hunting situation things dont happen how they are supposed to. You will set up for 500 yards and the animal will run by at 30. Also what ranges will the 270 WSM be good to for deer, antelope and elk assumeing the 140 ab or heavier berger. Thanks again forthe info.

It's me again........

Either of the scopes you mention would do the job with target turrets. I am exceptionally pleased with my conquest 6.5-20X50.

As far as distance goes, I set my max limit to 1000 FPE with my 270 cal. The 140 NAB starting out at 3640 shows 1003 FPE @ 1025. yds. If the energy drops below that number I just don't shoot at anything larger than a deer. I have no idea if that is a good number but it's one I'm comfortable with.

go with the double dovetail bases and Burris signature rings with the inserts for up to 20 MOA. This is an economical but sturdy as hell setup.

I would go with a variable scope and target turrets.

I would not shoot the final finish in it until you see IF you need it. How does it shoot and how does it clean up? agree start with only half the number of rds loaded with the grit, otherwise you risk really opening up the throat. You can always come back in and redo if necessary.

BH

I am thinking i may take the Zeiss 4.5-14X44 off of my 22-250 and put it on my 270WSM. Then i may look at the super sniper for my 22-250. This is a model 12 bvss and will be used primarily for prarie dogs. I think i want the adjustable power for a big game rifle and a fixed power would be alright for my 22-250. Does this make sense or should i look at another brand. In the super sniper would 20X be good for my 22-250 or shoul i go smaller. Also back to the stock. Does anyone know anything about the stockade or would the bell and carlson or HS be better. Also what stock would be good to look at. Since this is a more medium range gun i would like to have a stock that i could shoot off hand if need be. When a build a bigger caliber round i think i will look for a stock that is more for the prone position. Does this make sense or should i do something else. Thanks for all the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.