Jst bought first rifle...

NKYhunter

I've been a waterfowl hunter for years, (using a Remington 870), but I just purchased my first rifle about a month ago. I went with a Savage XP .270 with a Burris 3x9x40mm for optics. Been out to the range with some friends a few times and i'm having a blast!

Was this a good first rifle? I would like to take a deer this fall.

I've been a waterfowl hunter for years, (using a Remington 870), but I just purchased my first rifle about a month ago. I went with a Savage XP .270 with a Burris 3x9x40mm for optics. Been out to the range with some friends a few times and i'm having a blast!

Was this a good first rifle? I would like to take a deer this fall.
Welcome to the addiction. Is it a good rifle? Well will it shoot sub MOA? If it will it's an excellent rifle to start with.

The scope is a decent entry level riflescope but if I were in your shoes it's the first thing I'd look to upgrade. Next time you are in a good sporting goods store compare it to the Leupold 3.5-10x50 and the 4.5-14x50's. The difference in clarity will astound you. It's almost like going from a 1960's black and white TV with poor antenna reception to HD cable TV.

Thanks for the response. I have the rifle dialed in pretty well and it does shoot a sub MOA. Really liking the accuracy and the Acu-trigger. I will look in to upgrading scopes before hunting season.

A .270 was my first one also. After45 yrs. I jumped up to the .338 WM (for ELK+), them two will do it all. Good luck on the deer. Use to hunt LBL TN when I was in MEM, TN.......some biggies in TN & KY LBL.

It varies by zone. I am in zone 1.
ZONE 1​
• A hunter may take an unlimited number of antlerless
deer. Two (2) deer may be taken using the statewide​
permit and unlimited antlerless deer may be taken using​
bonus antlerless-only permits (good for two (2) antler​
less
deer each).

• A hunter is limited to ONE (1) deer with visible antlers​
(excluding button bucks) per license year statewide, except
additional antlered deer may be taken on federal areas.​

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.