Joel Russo's A-5L stocks

James Jones

Joel Russo\'s A-5L stocks

The brown truck just dropped opff my stock from Joel and like a little kid at christmas I ran in and opened it.
At first glance I was amazed at the exterior finish its super smooth , realy 180 grit sand paper will propably rough it up.
Grabbed the old Sako barreled action that it was made for and the internal fit is great a little tight but you could probably squeeze it in , thats gonna be perfect for the final fit , same goes for the floor plate , its gonna need a very little bit of sanding to make it fit a little bit easier but thats what one should expect with a wood stock. the external fit and shape are awsome , the recoil pad to stock fit is also #1

the corrispondance with Joel was first class , he kept me informed with the progress and lead times, and the turn around , well any time you measure it in weeks rather than months thats a great thing, total was about 4 weeks but their was a problem with the supplier getting the color wood I wanted to Joel when he wanted it so thats one of those things.

over all I'm tickled pink with this stock I can't wait to get to working on it , gonna have to rasp a little to get my paw to fit right but thats with every gun I own , the biggest problem is going to be wether or not I want a super shinny finish to show off this wook or a satin finish thats more hunter friendly.

Just as soon as the wife loosens up on my allowance I'll be ordering one for the 260 that Nate is building for me now.

Re: Joel Russo\'s A-5L stocks

i've seen his stocks and they are first class,of course i like the laminate wood stocks for a gun.

I'll try to hi-jack the wifes camera , I have some pics that Joel sent to to help choose a color I can forward those to ya if you want

Hi go with a satin finish the high gloss finish on the laminate stocks looks tacky and the Satin looks Awsome. I have one on order in Desert Camo and it will be finished in 2 pack floof finish satin to make it a hard durable coating.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Thanks for the nice comments JDJones, it too was a pleasure doing business with you. I appreciate your understanding in waiting for the wood to be delivered to me. Please post some pics of your finished project when you get a chance.

Just got my 270 Allen all finished up with one of Joel's stocks and it turned out awsome. I couldn't be happier with either the rifle or the stock! I went with more of a matte finish and it looks great. Thanks Joel and Kirby!

--finally got my ducks in a row and have just sent the check to Joel for his modified A-5L which has a bit more length in the forearm and "more beef" in the action area. Plans are for a SGY bedding block for 32" barrel and will advise how she turns out. Overbore

Hi overbore i am having hte same stock built and have ordered a Magmun Sleve from speedy he said he only has one left and cant find it but wis looking. How can this happen diferent sides of the world and working on projects that will be very similar.

Dam i wanted to be diferent so i did not mention it on any forum.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Wild Bill, the Nobel Prize is often won by two folks simultaneously but in 2003 a championship winner preceeded us in that a rank amateur won all the marbles with a home made laminate stock and ( key to my thinking ) SGY bedding block which is almost ( have met folks that could screw up and a 200# steel anvil with a fork [ on the rare occassion found him in the mirror] ) idiot proof from a bedding viewpoint. The block is an interfeerence fit on the barrel with zero "wiggle room" and the block is epoxied into the stock. Just completed one in Kevlar and metal; not quite so easily relieved by hand but the principle is the same. Let me know how yours turns out. ps the 6.5X55 data you kindly gave me comes to use now. Best wishes, Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.