It May be a While…..

Its there game you either pay or stay home. I here the same thing with NR wanting to hunt Montana.
Your other choice is become a resident.
Anyway dont muddy this thread start another one if you wanna complain about NR hunting

Well I just got back from Wyoming from spending 8 days in region G. All the Horror stories seemed were true about last winter. My nephew and I saw about 35 deer 6 or 7 bucks and 1 doe with a fawn in 8 days of many, many, many hours behind spotting scopes and Bino's.
We saw 2 bucks about 160-170 but thats not what we went for. I never would have dreamed it would be like that, we had some really good intel from last year that produced a 190+ buck and saw more and was seeing 100+ deer a day last year plus many 170 bucks and this guy knows his stuff. Truly some of the most beautiful MD country I've ever hunted and I've hunted alot of high country in alot of places its TRULEY A SHAME.
We saw 1 buck that was taken and he was a nice one and heard of 2 others that were nothing special. Heard 2 shots opening mourning and 1 later in the week that was it. People were packing up and leaving left and right, pray wyoming has some mild winters in the future there gonna need it.
The place we had intel on that a guy was seeing 100+ deer a day we saw 7 one day and a small 2 pt buck that was it after 4 hrs glossing from daylight.

Last edited:
Well I just got back from Wyoming from spending 8 days in region G. All the Horror stories seemed were true about last winter. My nephew and I saw about 35 deer 6 or 7 bucks and 1 doe with a fawn in 8 days of many, many, many hours behind spotting scopes and Bino's.
We saw 2 bucks about 160-170 but thats not what we went for. I never would have dreamed it would be like that, we had some really good intel from last year that produced a 190+ buck and saw more and was seeing 100+ deer a year last year plus many 170 bucks and this guy knows his stuff. Truly some of the most beautiful MD country I've ever hunted and I've hunted alot of high country in alot of places its TRULEY A SHAME.
We saw 1 buck that was taken and he was a nice one and heard of 2 others that were nothing special. Heard 2 shots opening mourning and 1 later in the week that was it. People were packing up and leaving left and right, pray wyoming has some mild winters in the future there gonna need it.
The place we had intel on that a guy was seeing 100+ deer a day we saw 7 one day and a small 2 pt buck that was it after 4 hrs glossing from daylight.
Sorry to hear about your rough hunting in Wyoming. I'm currently hunting elk just outside of Craig and it's fairly slow. We have seen some yearlings which is a good thing.
Deer and antelope sightings have been noticeably disappointing.
Another bad winter will make a bad situation much worse.

Sorry to hear about your rough hunting in Wyoming.
It is what it is, like ive always said thats why they call it hunting and not killing.
My situation was I couldn't wait 6 or 7 years hoping it would come back at 62 years old I dont have that much time to crawl around in those rugged mtns
We left one day before daylight and never got back untill dark and hunted to the top climbing 1600 ft in elevation looking off into another drainage only to see 5 deer.

Attachments

• 20230916_103855.jpg
    20230916_103855.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
Two bucks in the 160-170 class ain't that bad at all….better than I thought you might see! Could you have had the opportunity for one of them? memtb

My experience in the Gros Ventre wilderness was similar. I was seeing 7-8 bucks a day in areas where last year they were seeing 50 plus a day. I only saw 11 does and 1 yearling the entire time I was there. There were 3 other hunters in camp, they were seeing less than I was. I managed to find a good buck after 3 days of hunting hard and covering a lot of ground, a non typical 9x5.

F8787236-7254-4EA4-9E27-F791D3D7B001.jpeg

Last edited:
Two bucks in the 160-170 class ain't that bad at all….better than I thought you might see! Could you have had the opportunity for one of them? memtb
We couldn't find the first one after we spotted him day before season.
The other one maybe.
So we didn't put in alot of effort into those 2.
Neither one of us were after just "A " deer.
I've killed plenty of good bucks in my life so has my nephew so I'm plenty happy to eat my tag if I dont find what I'm looking for, just because I have a tag in my pocket I'm not " owed" anything.

Sorry to hear about your rough hunting in Wyoming. I'm currently hunting elk just outside of Craig and it's fairly slow. We have seen some yearlings which is a good thing.
Deer and antelope sightings have been noticeably disappointing.
Another bad winter will make a bad situation much worse.
Hope you're able to ignite one of those 160AB's into a good bull/buck. Have a great time and be safe. Great time to disconnect from the matrix. Keep us posted