It May be a While…..

Arrived home from our hunt in Craig Colorado. On our route from Craig through Baggs Wy up to Creston junction to catch I 80 we counted just 18 antelope. Normally on this route there would be too many to try to count but it would probably be well over 200. Once on I 80 headed east the numbers increased to close to normal.
Hopefully Mother Nature will give this area a normal to mild winter to help the antelope start to rebuild their population.

Arrived home from our hunt in Craig Colorado. On our route from Craig through Baggs Wy up to Creston junction to catch I 80 we counted just 18 antelope. Normally on this route there would be too many to try to count but it would probably be well over 200. Once on I 80 headed east the numbers increased to close to normal.
Hopefully Mother Nature will give this area a normal to mild winter to help the antelope start to rebuild their population.

Yep….it hurts to see how badly our game was effected last winter all across the state!

Did ya do any good in Craig?

My uncle and I drove up to Craig from Louisiana in '84 to hunt Mule Deer. We didn't know that the previous winter had really taken a toll on their deer…..we got "skunked"!

It didn't help any that I was hunting with my handgun (S&W 629)! I had the only opportunity of the hunt, a snap shot at a bit over 100 yards down a very steep ridge, shot just over his shoulders……I think that shooting nearly straight down plus a hurried, offhand shot made for a miss, that would've been very easy with a rifle! ☹️ memtb

I was able to catch this bull coming to a water hole and my buddy got a cow. This was a private land hunt enrolled in the ranching for wildlife program so numbers of elk are higher than public land but still lower than normal.

Attachments

• 4DC592B2-D641-443B-8806-8AEDAD6C9685.jpeg
    4DC592B2-D641-443B-8806-8AEDAD6C9685.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
I was able to catch this bull coming to a water hole and my buddy got a cow. This was a private land hunt enrolled in the ranching for wildlife program so numbers of elk are higher than public land but still lower then.
I was able to catch this bull coming to a water hole and my buddy got a cow. This was a private land hunt enrolled in the ranching for wildlife program so numbers of elk are higher than public land but still lower than normal.
What load did you take him with?

280 AI with IMR 7828 and 160 grain accubond at 2955 fps. Actually recovered bullet from just under hide after going through both shoulders. Surprising since it was only a 80 yard shot.
I haven't weighed it yet.
Can't ask for much better with that result! Congrats! Well designed load and nice bull. I'm happy for you!