Issues I have with E bike deer hunting want your thoughts

I picked a spot that was remote and difficult to get in there so I didn't see people that is correct and it did not bother me that other people are in there because it's public land great that people get out there the thing that I got mad about is the fact that it's a no motorized area and they were in there. The way the law says on Wyoming blm land for this area is regular pedal bikes are aloud to be off road and go anywhere e bikes are motorized so they are same rules as a dirt bike or atv or sxs or truck and car no off road. There was a a lot of off topic on this thread. Basically it all boils down to in my mind is that sit down read the rules and follow them don't just assume it's ok. Because I bet all of us have at some point not fully read the rules or skimmed the laws and missed something and ended up doing something wrong and was brought to your attention after it was done. My self included. When your taking kids or new hunters out and teaching them to do everything right and you come across someone that is not doing something that is right or following the laws kids see that and don't understand on why that person is doing this and at some point they will say well they did why can't I even though it's not right.
It's about having fun and getting the younger generation into having fun and keep them interested in hunting and being outdoors because in the future they will be the ones fighting for the public land.

Your not going to let your kids so much as touch a gun then, till they are legally licensed, right?
And if you do 0.1 MPH over the posted speed limit, you are a terrible law breaking person.
I hope that you have never ever broken a rule, or law.

Me I can't say that I'm perfect.
I've broken laws, and will again.
The road that leads to my cabin has a maximum speed of 50 kms/hr, and I sped on it just this morning.
50.1 kms/hr makes me a law breaker.
Those are some tough standards to live up to, making me a failure I guess.
I also handled a gun previous to taking and passing the course.
If I don't like the service, also won't leave a 20% tip at a restaurant, which it seems has sort of become a rule, although not sure why. My last restaurant meal, I left a nickel on the table, the server was terrible.
While waiting at the tire shop this morning, I gave a child some of my Skittles, as he kept looking at me eating them. Probably should have asked his father first, but didn't.
I am incapable of being perfect it seems.
Sped on the way back home to, set the cruise control to 104 kms/hr in a 100 zone.
Crack open your Bible and read John 8:7

Your not going to let your kids so much as touch a gun then, till they are legally licensed, right?
And if you do 0.1 MPH over the posted speed limit, you are a terrible law breaking person.
I hope that you have never ever broken a rule, or law.

Me I can't say that I'm perfect.
I've broken laws, and will again.
The road that leads to my cabin has a maximum speed of 50 kms/hr, and I sped on it just this morning.
50.1 kms/hr makes me a law breaker.
Those are some tough standards to live up to, making me a failure I guess.
I also handled a gun previous to taking and passing the course.
If I don't like the service, also won't leave a 20% tip at a restaurant, which it seems has sort of become a rule, although not sure why. My last restaurant meal, I left a nickel on the table, the server was terrible.
While waiting at the tire shop this morning, I gave a child some of my Skittles, as he kept looking at me eating them. Probably should have asked his father first, but didn't.
I am incapable of being perfect it seems.
Sped on the way back home to, set the cruise control to 104 kms/hr in a 100 zone.
Crack open your Bible and read John 8:7
I know you're in Canada and things are different but we don't have "legally licensed" down here in the States, it comes with birth (at least in the free states). There's a big difference between going a few miles/kilometers per hour over the speed limit and riding or driving a motorized vehicle off trail where not allowed. I cherish wild places and lands, someone intentionally or ignorantly destroying them would tick me off too. They're there for everyone and if we want them in tact for future generations we must protect them and not allow the destruction of our public lands.

Last edited:
Can you give me an example in the US of land that has been "closed to everyone" because people complained about other people breaking the rules? I've worked in trails and land management and this is unheard of to me.

A good friend lives in Washington state.
There was an area closed because of too many complaints.
She used to love going there to Cross country ski, but some skiers were griping about snowmobilers. So the problem was dealt with quick and easy, they simply shut it all down. No more hikers, bikes, skiers, snowmobiles, or anything else.
The whiners got their way, no more snowmobile use.
Lets see what are they can get shut down next my friend says sarcastically.
Boy I hope that people start reporting everything...not.

I know you're in Canada and things are different but we don't have "legally licensed" down here in the States, it comes with birth (at least in the free states). There's a big difference between going a few miles/kilometers per hour over the speed limit and riding or driving a motorized vehicle off trail where not allowed. I cherish wild places and lands, someone intentionally or ignorantly destroying them would tick me off too. They're there for everyone and if we want them in tact for future generations we must protect them and not allow the destruction of our public lands.
Well put words right there. Let's just all to agree to keep wheels out of wilderness and keep motorized things on the roads 😁 gas or electric

Well put words right there. Let's just all to agree to keep wheels out of wilderness and keep motorized things on the roads 😁 gas or electric
I'd take it a step further and say wheels need to stay on roads but maybe I'm an a-hole like that. Game carts? Nah, put it in a pack. Mountain bike? Keep it on the road. Leave no trace - I want it to look the same way in 30 years when I'm taking grandchildren to the same places.

At some point when we allow one type of motorized equipment into the backcountry, we would then need to allow another, then another, then another. At this point it is now frontcountry and getting into the backcountry is no longer a thing.

I don't own a horse - horses are expensive - I do someday hope to own some sort of pack stock, if that's goats, lamas, mules, horses, whatever.

The thing is E-Bikes are much more practical and attainable for way more people than pack stock are. Anyone can own, store, and transport an e-bike - stock not so much, you need know how, land, a trailer, a truck, etc.

If we allow motorized vehicles in every single inch of land just because it's public there wont be much backcountry left where animals can find some sanctuary. I don't have a problem with E-Bikes, I've actually been looking at getting one. I think e-bikes just like ALL other motor vehicles should be required to stay on roads, or designated bike trials, period.

This must be well in the future, when ebikes can skip across lakes and rivers, blast over mountains, jump downed trees, and their battery has a 1500 km round trip range.
I'll be dead of old age long before then.

This must be well in the future, when ebikes can skip across lakes and rivers, blast over mountains, jump downed trees, and their battery has a 1500 km round trip range.
I'll be dead of old age long before then.
You might be but my kids might not be.

I'm not just talking about e-bikes. Where does it stop. A guy with a dirt bike says well he has a motor too, let me go in. Then the guy in the SxS says well he has a motor and wheels too, let me in. Then the jeep, then the truck. It's not that far away if we let a motor vehicle run around people will always want more.

Last edited:

Who said destruction, I sure didn't.
But glad you admitted that you openly choose which laws YOU feel like following. Now that should also allow other people to choose which laws are important to them, or not, correct?

Who said destruction, I sure didn't.
But glad you admitted that you openly choose which laws YOU feel like following. Now that should also allow other people to choose which laws are important to them, or not, correct?
When did I say that? I said there's a big difference in putting your own life at danger than there is destroying something that belongs to everyone. Yes, riding/driving a motor vehicle off trail can degrade the landscape. I personally don't speed…so that was more pointed at you since you're the habitual offender.

E Bikes are already legal on very large parts of MT and BLM.Figure it out if you want. I doubt they will ever have access in true wilderness like the Bob,plus distances to far for a extended hunt.Have I run into people on them, almost everyone had one where I was hunting

I'd take it a step further and say wheels need to stay on roads but maybe I'm an a-hole like that. Game carts? Nah, put it in a pack. Mountain bike? Keep it on the road. Leave no trace - I want it to look the same way in 30 years when I'm taking grandchildren to the same places.
Someday, when you get older, and you don't move as good as you once did, when your joints are getting arthritic and you're in constant uncomfort, but your mind is still sharp, and your desire to hunt is still there, you just may have a change of heart.

Many years ago during late muzzleloader season, I had just got back to my truck after a 4 mile jaunt up and down a creek bed, I seen a little ford ranger driving thru the fields. I was really p.o'ed about it, and directly, the truck pulled out onto the road and headed my way. I didn't want to talk to whoever this a-hole was at all, but here he came. Come to find out, this guy was 85 or 86 years old. His wife was long since passed, his kids weren't close by, and he was still trying to kill a deer. I came away from that conversation a with a whole different attitude. I thought to myself, he can drive anywhere he wants, and I want to be just like him if and when I get to that age. And till the day I die, I will regret not asking him to get in my big truck, and I'd put him on stand, and I'd put a deer in front of him. So get off your high-horse and try look at things from a different point of view.

Someday, when you get older, and you don't move as good as you once did, when your joints are getting arthritic and you're in constant uncomfort, but your mind is still sharp, and your desire to hunt is still there, you just may have a change of heart.

Many years ago during late muzzleloader season, I had just got back to my truck after a 4 mile jaunt up and down a creek bed, I seen a little ford ranger driving thru the fields. I was really p.o'ed about it, and directly, the truck pulled out onto the road and headed my way. I didn't want to talk to whoever this a-hole was at all, but here he came. Come to find out, this guy was 85 or 86 years old. His wife was long since passed, his kids weren't close by, and he was still trying to kill a deer. I came away from that conversation a with a whole different attitude. I thought to myself, he can drive anywhere he wants, and I want to be just like him if and when I get to that age. And till the day I die, I will regret not asking him to get in my big truck, and I'd put him on stand, and I'd put a deer in front of him. So get off your high-horse and try look at things from a different point of view.
Get off of my high horse because I would rather future generations enjoy the same thing that I did, unmolested?

When I get to that point I know that I will be limited to roads and front country. You can bet, that when that time comes, there's no way I'm going to be taking my truck or anything else cross-country just to get somewhere that I can't walk to. Hopefully by then I'll have the horses that I'd like to have and take those as far as I was once able to. I don't think people should be taking motor vehicles anywhere that's off of a road. To me that's not that hard, when I can't do it anymore I sure hope that I have someone that can help me. If not then I probably can't do it anymore and that's okay too.

My daughter was diagnosed with MS at the ripe old age of 26 and has since been mostly confined to a wheelchair.
She USED to hike, camp, kayak and fish the wilderness around Glacier National Park before her health went sideways.
Does she DEMAND to have special privilages so she can go back to doing those things?
No! She accepts her limitations and feels blessed to still be able to enjoy the things she can.
I'm sorry, but it's a natural fact of life that sometimes we can't do what we'd like. If you let one guy on an eBike run around in closed areas, the next year you'll have a dozen, and the year after that 2 dozen.
Then, suddenly, you dont HAVE a wilderness area as it becomes the dumping grounds for those who can afford an eBike.
We've already seen it with the explosion in popularity of side by sides. Given unlimited access, eBikes will be the same way.
If they change the rules and allow them, great. Until then, I would definately be talking to USFS personnel if I saw one in the Wilderness.