Is this RUST!?

That much fouling at the muzzle from one factory test fire? I don't think so.... I think you bought a rifle that was returned for some reason. I'd return it and demand a truly new rifle.
Thanks for the reply! Returning it is not an option unfortunately. Im hoping the bore tech will do the trick! Fingers crossed!

Remington has offered to ship it back to a repair shop with a 4-6 week turn around time. I'm not sure if I want to mail my brand new rifle across the country via UPS to a repair facility…anyone have experience sending guns back for service?

I can. I bought a brand new Savage ML-II . I always run a patch down a new bore, anyway the patch grabbed a flaw in the rifling cut and left a piece inside. I called Savage and it was shipped back and returned in a 2 week window with many apologies. Included was a brand new scope upgrade and a verify target for the shot group. Oh and I prefer Shooters choice and it removes all fowling including plastic from the sabots.

Remington has offered to ship it back to a repair shop with a 4-6 week turn around time. I'm not sure if I want to mail my brand new rifle across the country via UPS to a repair facility…anyone have experience sending guns back for service?

Yep, worked out just fine. They put a new barrel on it, this time, one that had all it's rifling.

Have you even shot it? How will it shoot even after Remington does anything to it? If they shoot it and find nothing wrong, they will send it back to you even dirtier than it is now. I don't think they will clean it. Clean it good, then shoot it. Allow for a fouling shot then shoot a group allowing one minute between shots. If you can, shoot several different brands of ammo, and if you change from cup and core to mono or vice-versa, clean the barrel good with a copper remover before shooting the different type of ammo.

Last edited: