Is this RUST!?

PartyP

Brand new, week old Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308…I just picked this rifle up last week from Turners, brand new, never shot and today noticed what looks like rust. I tried to do a quick clean with CLP and Hops No. 9 patch came out light black a few times and now clean but "rust" still apparent.

Attachments

• IMG_7654.jpeg
    IMG_7654.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7655.jpeg
    IMG_7655.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 148
Thanks for the reply J-L! Much appreciated! I've used CLP and Hops No. 9 and it didn't budge! Im
Hoping the BoreTech get the job done…any advice on if it should be soaked?
I have soaked my barrels overnight with Hoppe's No.9 with the copper solvent, for as many nights as required to get the copper out.
I do not soak with any other solvent. I also use JB Bore Paste (Non Embedding) on stubborn fouling. I do not use the JB Red Bore Polish on anything…
I use White Spirit soaked patches to scrub out JB Bore Paste.

Cheers.

Not rust. Not uncommon for a production barrel to be a little rough and foul a little bit. The factory obviously doesn't spend much time lapping their barrels, so the bore is a little rough. Get some Bore Tech Eliminator, follow the directions, and that orange crap will be gone. Might take a little effort for the first cleaning or two, but eventually will get clean after just two or three patches as you wear the barrel in.

Brand new, week old Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308…I just picked this rifle up last week from Turners, brand new, never shot and today noticed what looks like rust. I tried to do a quick clean with CLP and Hops No. 9 patch came out light black a few times and now clean but "rust" still apparent.
That much fouling at the muzzle from one factory test fire? I don't think so.... I think you bought a rifle that was returned for some reason. I'd return it and demand a truly new rifle.

You might want to get yourself a bore guide too if you don't already have one. A little fowling at the end of the barrel wouldn't bother me, I'd be out shooting it and seeing how accurate it is. What are you using your new rifle for?

I think this shows the case for barrel break in. With factory barrels, they can be a little rough.
Maybe even a few strokes with JB just to assist with that.

Buuuttttt...shoot it first and see how it shoots. If she shoots, just deal with the painful cleaning....I had a first gen Sendero that did this, but she shot well, so just dealt with it.

I'd go shoot it and clean it after a few rounds while it's nice and warm. 308, I bet it's a tack driver with whatever you feed it. A good dose of 168 ELDx with 45 grains of Varget should do the trick. Shoot 3 rounds and then clean as all above mentioned.

I just reread your post, and realized it is a 700 SPS Tactical. I'm pretty sure it is basically the same rifle as the 700 PSS (Police Sniper Special). We had 10 of them on our SWAT Team, in the late 90's, and they were superbly accurate. I shot a 5 shot group that measured less than .20 with Federal Gold Match 168 Sierra ammo. Another team member shot similar groups with the Remington 168 Match load.
I'm thinking since yours is a match rifle intended for precision shooting, it would have fired more than just the one "proof load" at the factory. I'm sure they need to shoot it enough to confirm the accuracy standards they advertise, so several shots would have been fired. Maybe that's why it appears to be more "copper fouling" than usual when looking at a new rifle.

Last edited: