Is this acceptable?

Jimm

Weighed 53 bullets left out of a box of sierra 85gr. gameking hpbt.Results :
4 weighed 85.1
7 weighed 85.2
The rest weighed 85.
I weighed all the ones that were more than 85 twice,same results.At what point does the diff really make a diff?

Im assuming we are talking 6mm here?
If you are shooting 400yds or closer... load them and shoot them. If its a lot further than that, and it makes you feel better, shoot them as sighters, or at closer stuff.
Its my opinion that untill you get in the .3 to .5 grain differance, it really don't matter. I used to sort by bullet weight, but now the only weighing I do is to make sure there arent any short cores.
I think if you do some testing and shoot 3, 85.2s, and 2, 85.0s into a group, you won't nottice a differance.

It is well within Sierra's specs even for MK specs. (I used to work there)
GameKing specs are plus or minus 0.5 of a grain on the big heavy stuff and 0.3 on the smaller stuff.
MatchKings are plus or minus 0.3 of a grain for everything.

I will go against the trend and say load 'em up and shoot 'em and don't sweat it- the wind will kick your butt more than a tenth of a grain difference in bullet weight at any distance.

Thanks Adam,ChrisI think another part of the equation is the nut holding the bolt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifThese old eyes cant see good enough to recognize a diff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks again,Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.