Is this a typo?

Re: No it\'s not a typo

Jeff thats great info and exactly what I was looking for. I went to their website (RSI) and found the software you mentioned. How much did that set you back if you dont mind me asking? How many yards out can you get it to calculate? The program I've been using is exbal.

Here is my frustration, if you were to take 3 different bullets at the same velocity with the same bc but different grain weights heres what you get-
200 gr wildcat 7mm vel 3000 fps elev 4500 .8bc
300 gr .338 sierra vel 3000 fps elev 4500 .8bc
400 gr .416 solid vel 3000 fps elev 4500 .8bc

3000 yds

moa - velocity - energy - tof
95.75 - 1174 - 918 - 4.6913 (200gr .284.8 bc)
95.75 - 1174 - 1223 - 4.6913 (300gr .338.8 bc)
95.75 - 1174 - 918? - 4.6913 (400gr .416.8 bc)

As you can see it appears to be a guessing game. What I'm wondering is at what distance does this guessing game start?
I expect them to fly the same technicaly based on bc but the energy is goofy.

Buffalobob, I have a feeling bullets are more stable and shed much less velocity when traveling subsonic. JD Jones may be on to something with the whisper cartridges. Barrel life, sound, recoil. Heck anyone who's put a few rounds downrange quickly learns that elevation is all mechanical especialy if you get your es down with consistant bullets.

Maybe mythbusters could put this to rest but then there wouldnt be any frustration.

Re: No it\'s not a typo

Time to target

Imagine for a second you're out in the montains, chasing elk...

The perfect trophy of a lifetime presents himself almost defiantly at a goodly distance...

Rangefinder indicates 893 yards.

He's at 15 degrees in elevation down.

You could try and stalk closer, but today the wind is definitely not in your favor and he'll probably spook before you get another clear shot.

Assuming you have the skill to make the shot with an appropriate rig.

Do you want to be firing a bullet at a muzzle velocity greater than 3100 FPS and have it get there in just over one second woth enough energy after it arrives to break both shoulderblades?

or do you want to lob a bigger, heavier pill at a muzzle velocity right around 1000 FPS and have it take **** near 4 seconds for it to arrive, and MAYBE have enough energy left to kill your trophy cleany?

Will he still be standing there in 4 seconds?

Will a freak gust of wind two seconds after you let loose blow your shot off?

Even if it's quiter, the whispers aren't silent, unless used in a suppressed firearm. At subsonic speeds, do you think the wind might help carry that muzzle report to him and jump him before the bullet gets there?

The whispers are a brilliant design, made for a specific purpose, but IMHO long range hunting aint it!

Others will of course, disagree. That, in a nutshell, is the real beauty of being free!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.