Is this a dumb idea?

Matt, I don't know why or how it slipped my mind but this is a rifle you probably want to give some firm consideration. It's really right up your alley.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...9739/Ruger+FTW+HUNTER+375RUG+22+SS+CAMO+MBRAK

If I were going to make any changes in mine for hunting in your neck of the woods I'd probably have someone add a larger, longer bolt knob for quick handling when wearing thick gloves.

Bud's has these at an excellent price as well.

It's funny that you mentioned that rifle.... It was definitely on the short list as well as the guide rifle. I'm just not sure if I want a 375 and the shape of the new ruger stocks is fugly. I haven't ruled it out because I do really like the 3 position wing safeties for bear hunting. If I go factory, it will probably be one of the rugers. I would just like to see one of the new stocks in person before I would really consider it. I'm still not sure I like 375 ruger over 358 norma though. Why can't ruger just use a nice **** stock?

I am thinking that I "need" a new bear rifle. May also be thrown in the mix for moose and elk. I have pretty much settled on 35 whelen or 358 norma. Really leaning towards the norma. I like the idea of a thumper but also having the ability to stretch out to 400-600 if needed. I want this rifle to be light but how crazy would a 7lb 358 norma be? I do NOT want a muzzle brake. I was thinking 8-8.5lbs ready to hunt. I am not really recoil shy but not sure is a 225 barnes going 2900+ or a 250 at 2800ish really something that should come out of a lightweight.

Second question is what is the lightest contour barrel a 35 should be done in?

Build idea is 700 bdl long action, stocky's carbon stock(leaning towards m50) bedded, 24-26 inch barrel, talley lightweights, unsure on scope (have an older monarch 3-12 laying in safe)

I think a 358 Norma is a good choice for your application.

I use Krieger's standards for making contour decisions. The smallest stainless steel 35 caliber barrel they will make is a #6. They will make a chromoly as small as a #3. To get to the weight you want, you are going to have to use something smaller than a #6. My preference would be a #4 or #4.5 Krieger. I don't see any reason to have a barrel any longer than 24 inches on a 35 caliber with that powder capacity.

Give the .375 Ruger a look. Even with 300gr bullets it's recoil is bearable and it's more than enough for the biggest bears.

Wildrose, you my friend are more of a man than I am :D I probably haven't put a full box of shells thru my .375 Ruger and it sits, collecting dust. Benches and big bores don't sit well with this skinny dude. Have I? yes. Can I? yes. Am I going to? NO. Not fun. Probably the same reason the 458Lott went out the door with less than 50 rounds down the bore. I know, I'm a pansy. I'm cool with that.

OP, I like the idea of a 358Norma. I still have my STA somewhere around here... But at about 15lbs w/brake it's pretty manageable :cool:. At the target weight you suggested, recoil is going to be stout to say the least. If that's your forte, git some. It should make a **** fine bear buster.

t

Wildrose, you my friend are more of a man than I am :D I probably haven't put a full box of shells thru my .375 Ruger and it sits, collecting dust. Benches and big bores don't sit well with this skinny dude. Have I? yes. Can I? yes. Am I going to? NO. Not fun. Probably the same reason the 458Lott went out the door with less than 50 rounds down the bore. I know, I'm a pansy. I'm cool with that.

OP, I like the idea of a 358Norma. I still have my STA somewhere around here... But at about 15lbs w/brake it's pretty manageable :cool:. At the target weight you suggested, recoil is going to be stout to say the least. If that's your forte, git some. It should make a **** fine bear buster.

t

I'm the kinda guy who would let the bear chew on me for a bit before I shot any of the options these guys have been talking about. The last gun I had that kicked was about 1978. All of them are waaaaay tougher than me.

I looked into many cartridges looking for a light weight Stopper and decided on a 338 RCM because it would work on a short action and could be made to weigh in at 7 or 8 pounds. I used a model 7 Rem because it was shorter and lighter that the short action.

The rifle weighs in at just under 7 pounds fully dressed and ready to hunt. Originally it was for a bear hunt but that fell through, so I decided to use it on Elk size game and kept using the 225 Accubonds for 3800 ft/lbs of energy. the velocity with this load was 2764 ft/sec in a 23" barrel.

The recoil was manageable but the little rifle had a bad recoil angle of almost 80o and fast follow up shots were difficult, So I installed one of my brakes and brought the recoil energy down from 34.6 ft/lbs to 16.6 ft/lbs and shortened the barrel 1'' to keep the rifle short for handling. Very little velocity was lost and muzzle rise was all but eliminated.

Recoil is in the 308 range and very manageable with the brake, But without a brake any lightweight
rifle will have plenty of recoil and recoil velocity. So If you want a light weight rifle, with loads of energy, the effect will be recoil. (You cant have your cake and eat it to) And a brake may be necessary.

I also looked at the 35 Whelen (Another great cartridge but it required a long action and could not produce the energy) (3300 to 3375 ft/lbs) that the RCM could (3700 to 3800+) and can use a longer barrel.

Just My choice for a lightweight hammer.

J E CUSTOM

It's funny that you mentioned that rifle.... It was definitely on the short list as well as the guide rifle. I'm just not sure if I want a 375 and the shape of the new ruger stocks is fugly. I haven't ruled it out because I do really like the 3 position wing safeties for bear hunting. If I go factory, it will probably be one of the rugers. I would just like to see one of the new stocks in person before I would really consider it. I'm still not sure I like 375 ruger over 358 norma though. Why can't ruger just use a nice **** stock?
It ain't about looks when you are lugging a rifle around day after day. I can tell you for sure though it's one of the most ergonomically correct stocks I've ever shouldered.

As to the two calibers there's not a whole lot of difference ballistically but there is an abundant supply of factory ammo and components for the .375 Ruger along with some very good quality, accurate factory rifles chambered in it.

Personally I'm more of a Winchester model 70 guy but I couldn't be happier with the two Ruger Hawkeye's I've bought over the last few years.

If I were going to change anything on those I have I'd swap out the stocks for black/grey pepper laminates but as well as they are shooting for me I'll probably leave them as is. I've owned a few rifles with extremely nice walnut stocks but they were so pretty I spent way too much time worrying about scratching them up. With these, that's not anything I have to worry about.

The FTW line was specifically developed for precision and functionality and if mine is any indicator they definitely hit the mark.

t
Get on Ebay and look up Northwest Precision Muzzle Brakes, in particular the slotted version.

Here you go. http://www.ebay.com/itm/22131191342...49&var=520190416845&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Put one on your .375 and it will spend a lot less time sitting in the closet. Recoil was the main consideration I had in mind that was keeping from "pulling the trigger" on buying one because while I'm not particularly shy, I didn't want to own a gun that I really didn't enjoy shooting.

I was surprised how tolerable the recoil was with the 250 and 270gr bullets even before putting the brake on it and once I did it became a real pleasure to shoot. I have the same brake on all of my magnums now except for two and out of all of the different types of breaks I've tried over the last twenty plus years this one is by far my favorite.

I've just had a .375WSM built. 16 Inch barrel with a removable brake and a suppressor.
Only given it a run with 200gn Seirra Pro Hunters but working out OK at around
3050fps. OK to shoot bare and suppressed and real soft with the brake but LOUD did I say LOUD.
I will never see anything bigger than a red deer or possibly a wapiti (elk) as we have nothing bigger here
bushgun1.jpg
Man with that short barrel I'll bet that thing barkes! Shooting it in low light conditions it probably looks like a flame thrower too, HA!

I'll second looking at the 375R, I had the Alaskan model for awhile. Recoil wasn't bad at all, and it was accurate.

Wildrose, I was getting 270TSX to 2800fps out of mine, yes max load, think it had 20" barrel, with 28in bet you could get some of the better bc 270's past 3000.
After getting my FTW model in .260 I was extremely tempted to get one in .375 R as well but I just couldn't justify it for only a 2" gain. I've got a couple of extra model 70's that I picked up as bargains and when I get caught up on all of my other projects I think I'll go ahead and use one of them as a donor and I'll be off to the races.

As well as the Peregrine Plainsmaster bullets are shooting for me in my 6.5's and .300's I think they'll be a great fit with the .375 as well. They also have a new line of bullets coming out that are very similar to the VRG4 called the VLR which are specifically designed for long range performance and I am really looking forward to them coming out with it in a 300-325gr .375 that should be a great fit for the .375 Ruger.

I've got a few of the 180gr 30 caliber VLR prototypes I'm going to try out in one of my .300wm's as soon as I get time to load them up. They'll be releasing the 6.5 and 7mm's hopefully in the next six months and then I'm really hoping they'll get to work on a 375 version.

I looked into many cartridges looking for a light weight Stopper and decided on a 338 RCM because it would work on a short action and could be made to weigh in at 7 or 8 pounds. I used a model 7 Rem because it was shorter and lighter that the short action.

The rifle weighs in at just under 7 pounds fully dressed and ready to hunt. Originally it was for a bear hunt but that fell through, so I decided to use it on Elk size game and kept using the 225 Accubonds for 3800 ft/lbs of energy. the velocity with this load was 2764 ft/sec in a 23" barrel.

The recoil was manageable but the little rifle had a bad recoil angle of almost 80o and fast follow up shots were difficult, So I installed one of my brakes and brought the recoil energy down from 34.6 ft/lbs to 16.6 ft/lbs and shortened the barrel 1'' to keep the rifle short for handling. Very little velocity was lost and muzzle rise was all but eliminated.

Recoil is in the 308 range and very manageable with the brake, But without a brake any lightweight
rifle will have plenty of recoil and recoil velocity. So If you want a light weight rifle, with loads of energy, the effect will be recoil. (You cant have your cake and eat it to) And a brake may be necessary.

I also looked at the 35 Whelen (Another great cartridge but it required a long action and could not produce the energy) (3300 to 3375 ft/lbs) that the RCM could (3700 to 3800+) and can use a longer barrel.

Just My choice for a lightweight hammer.

J E CUSTOM
At one point I was very seriously considering the .338 Marlin lever gun for the same reasons, particularly for big hogs in the brush but having the 45-70 already I just couldn't quite talk myself into it. The .325wsm got a lot of consideration as well.

As for the brakes, having seen some of yours I don't doubt for a minute you got that kind of recoil and muzzle flip reduction.

At one point I was very seriously considering the .338 Marlin lever gun for the same reasons, particularly for big hogs in the brush but having the 45-70 already I just couldn't quite talk myself into it. The .325wsm got a lot of consideration as well.

As for the brakes, having seen some of yours I don't doubt for a minute you got that kind of recoil and muzzle flip reduction.

Thanks WildRose, Even though I can make my own brakes, I have many rifles that don't have brakes because they don't need them. But as you know, a lightweight rifle has the added problem of recoil Velocity and that is what most people feel.(Its the velocity that the rifle moves backward).

Strangely enough, I prefer not to install them on some rifles for different reasons and on some others
for obvious reasons. lightweight rifles have only one advantage, Weight (all other advantages go to the heavy rifle in my opinion) and a lightweight rifle will/can be brutal if big bullets are used.

The 325 WSM was a close second for my choice and equal in performance to the 338 RCM. your 375 WSM sounds interesting
and I will be watching for your results with loads.

J E CUSTOM

I had a brake put on my AI, when it was built. Great for bench work. But, test fired it twice (yes I'm not very smart) without ear protection. I think that I used that s%b for a trout line sinker. Never (did I say never), will my hunting rifle wear a "weed burner"!!! Not even for bench work! I guess that I'm getting soft in my old age, I started using a PAST recoil shield about 2 or 3 years ago, for my bench work!! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.