Is there something undesirable about imr 4831?

I've only ordered powder once online and that's when imr4831 became available through the hodgdon site. No powder ever seems to be available around here at all and I wanted to make sure that I had enough to see me through. With 175 sierra game kings out to 800 yards, it beats my testing with other powders such as h4831, rl22 and mrp. The rifle is only shot mainly before hunting through to spring so temperature sensitivity isn't an issue. I'm old school, resist change but have lived by the adage if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my experience

Has anyone used Winchesters new Staball 6.5 powder saposed to be temperture tolerant let me know,and someone who uses it need load data that works best for you.

Kind of funny in that------have in many firearms over the years have always had better luck accuracy wise with the H-4831 and H4350 than the "IMR" versions.
pretty much a flip for me. I'll go to IMR or Alliant first and only use H when it's obviously the only choice worth using... Heck, I'll often put mil-surp or ball type powders first... to each his own, and H powders obviously have their place in the world as a lot of guys are using them. I've just had better luck elsewhere getting velocity with accuracy without pushing pressures too high.

Has anyone used Winchesters new Staball 6.5 powder saposed to be temperture tolerant let me know,and someone who uses it need load data that works best for you.
playing a bit with sta-ball... So far it's not done anything for me a stick powder won't do better, but I've had the same luck with Superformance too...

Would sure be nice to know what 4831 is supposed to stand for..
one of life's great mysteries... like Z71 on the side of a chevy... yes, it's a suspension package, but did the first 70 tries suck, or is it more of a random number?

a little read for ya on IMR

Last edited:
I hear mixed reviews about Staball 6.5.
Some have good load results and others say they get sudden pressure spikes when running close to top end.
I have some (bought last year during H4350 shortage) but haven't had the need to try it yet.

A study on H4831 & variations, from lot to lot.
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA572333

Bottom line- New lot, may want to drop back 5% , work up, if loading at maximum?

I use IMR4831 in 243 Win, with Berger 90 gr hpbt match. Very accurate in my gun.
He pretty much lost me on using a CED Millenium chrono, but it does show a decent amount of variation. I suspect a better chrono would support that claim also. My biggest beef with Millenium was the lousy ability of their screens to actually pick up a bullet in field conditions, not the accuracy of the chrono itself. You do need a bit more spacing than the CED allows to be really accurate in measurement though.

I hear mixed reviews about Staball 6.5.
Some have good load results and others say they get sudden pressure spikes when running close to top end.
I have some (bought last year during H4350 shortage) but haven't had the need to try it yet.
I've used StaBall 6.5 in several cartridges, but really only use it in my 7-08 anymore. I can never get close to published velocities with it. Accuracy was good in most cartridges I used it in, except my 6.5 CM hates it.

As far as IMR4831 and H4831sc, I use both. Living in the same part of AK that Calvin use to, I just don't load develop when it's 10F or colder anymore. I developed some loads when it was around 0F and then shot them again at around 55-60F and accuracy was no longer there. I did this with both H4831sc, H4350, and non temp stable powders.

Hey all, just a random thought to pick your brains. Is there some reason imr 4831 isn't half as popular as hodgdon h4831?

Temp sensitivity differences?

Also how do the burn rates compare IN YOUR EXPERIENCE (I'm fully capable of looking at a chart).

I just never see half as much data for imr 4831 as h4831 AND on the auction sites it never fetches quite as ludicrous prices (though it's all nuts).
I have no experience with H4831. But I have use used and continue to use IMR 4831 for loads in my 270, 7mm and 300WM for the past 20 years with no issues or complaints. I also started using H1000 for loads in my 300 WM about 3-4 years ago with great success.

Hey all, just a random thought to pick your brains. Is there some reason imr 4831 isn't half as popular as hodgdon h4831?

Temp sensitivity differences?

Also how do the burn rates compare IN YOUR EXPERIENCE (I'm fully capable of looking at a chart).

I just never see half as much data for imr 4831 as h4831 AND on the auction sites it never fetches quite as ludicrous prices (though it's all nuts).
I get the same impression about the IMR powders like 4831 and 4350, which I have been using since age 16 and now 70. I don't have a chronograph and/or the deep science of most of the shooters here who extract that data to get the most out of their guns. I do follow threads on subjects that interest me to see what others have found. I hope this thread will give me more food for thought.

Kind of funny in that------have in many firearms over the years have always had better luck accuracy wise with the H-4831 and H4350 than the "IMR" versions.

I'm tough in the cold and a complete and utter baby in any kind of heat haha. You can always dress for cold weather but there's a limit to how naked you're allowed to be in the heat 🤣
What I've said for years. I dislike heat 🙄 80 degrees I'm ****y. 😁