is there really a need?

popeye

New guy here with a simple question. I currently own a .243 and .308 but I wonder if I am missing out by not having a .260. What if any would be the advantage to adding the 260 to my line up.
Most of my hunting is coyote and of course whitetail deer. Thoughts and comments welcome.

New guy here with a simple question. I currently own a .243 and .308 but I wonder if I am missing out by not having a .260. What if any would be the advantage to adding the 260 to my line up.
Most of my hunting is coyote and of course whitetail deer. Thoughts and comments welcome.

Welcome to LRH!

I would argue you are the best person to answer your own question. You already have a similar cartridge with the 243 and more options for heavier bullets with the 308. If money is an issue I don't know if adding the 260 would be a benefit unless your 243 and 308 are non-performers in the precision arena. It's up to you!

I own a 6.5 X 284 and several 308's. I don't own a 260 for this reason otherwise I'd probably have one as well.

It's back in your court to decide.

With those two calibers mentioned and the intended game hunted, I would think the answer would be NOT NEEDED. However, I believe you are already leaning that way since you asked the question.

So, enjoy the new stick when you get it. LOL

MMERS said it.

Your current chamberings fill the bill. However, IMHO it's not about need. :)

There is a large amount of shared tooling if you add a 260.

..... IMHO it's not about need. :)

Completely agreed :D I think the vast majority of us are guilty of want vs need when it comes to rifles. How else would one explain the 10-15 rifles in our safes? I bought/built them because I wanted them; OP- if you want one & can afford it, go get one..... or two.

t

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I can handload sub moa goups with both rifles and recently had a shilen tube put on the .243
I think someone said it best when they mentioned want vs need. I guess I am guilty of wanting the next, fastest, super duper gizmo and for me right now the 260 has my attention... :)

Rifle style is important to filling a space in your lineup. Take 2 rifles in the same caliber, (.308 for example) maybe one is a light sporter, the other maybe more tactically oriented.

If your .243 is a heavy varmint, then maybe a lighter, handier, .260 fills a useful niche.

Like has been said it doesn't have to be practical. Keep it fun.

Rifle style is important to filling a space in your lineup. Take 2 rifles in the same caliber, (.308 for example) maybe one is a light sporter, the other maybe more tactically oriented.

If your .243 is a heavy varmint, then maybe a lighter, handier, .260 fills a useful niche.

Like has been said it doesn't have to be practical. Keep it fun.
Right on!

I love owning rifles with series of calibers based on the same case dimensions.

The "intended" purpose of each can be very different.

22/243, 243, 260, 270-08, 7-08, 308, 338 win

Or 6mm, 6.5mm 7mm and 7.5ish mm would be a sensible .243 Win Varmint/Target, .260 Rem Tactical, 7-08 as a sporter/hunter/carry/truck and .308 Win as an F/TR or Palma.

I don't have all of these................. yet.

It really sounds like you have a couple of good regular short action rigs already. Maybe a bigger stick like a larger 6.5 or 7mm would do you well? If you want to stay short action a wsm or saum based cal. would be different.

I am going to disagree with the above posters.

My reason - nothing beats those long slender bullets being launched in the 2800+ velocity arena.

Not as much recoil as the 308 and shoots flatter than either.

Use any ballistic calculator and see the results for yourself. Then take afield...and see the results for yourself.

Personally, I prefer the 6.5x55 AI, as it launches 140/142 gr projectiles in the 2950+ range.

I am going to disagree with the above posters. My reason - nothing beats those long slender bullets being launched in the 2800+ velocity arena.

No disagreement about ballistics. At the heart of it, the question is about the worth of having 2 rifles chambered for cartridges of similar performance.

My read of it anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts