Is the 243 really that good?

The 105 should do a hell of a lot of damage on a groundhog. FOr 6mm 105grs is a lot of bullet and a lot to expand on. I was amazed at the expansion we could still get out of the bullets at nearly 1100yds.

should tear some nice holes in whistle pigs

good luck
steve

I'm not exactly sure but I know it was around 3050 fps give or take 50 fps. Too many other #s have been plugged in since I have shot that bullet!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i have killed more than 250 coyotes. mostly with a .243 . the wife and friend shot cow elk with 95 partitions. i have shot antelope and mule deer and coues deer with it. for longer range on coyotes i like the 85 sierra bthp and the 87 horn hpbt. they did not make the 87 horn v-max when i did the bulk of my shooting with a .243. i shot sakos with a 10" twist. with the 9" twist of a factory rem i would be a little concerned with the vld 105's keyholing but have no experience with them... i am loading berger 95vld for a friend's 700 vls.... there is nothing like a custom barrel on a trued rem action.

I got me one of those .243 Sako's lefthanded! Shoots 85 gr Sierra HPBT very well. Working up the 95 BalTip...looks like that N160 might do it.

[ QUOTE ]
For me, barrell life is a serious consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]Highpower competitive shooters have used the .243 Win. in matches from 100 to 600 yards. Great cartridge and many winning scores were shot; a few records have been set with the .243 as I remember. Very accurate, too; tests have put 20 shots into about 2 inches at 600 yards.

Barrel life was about 1300 to 1500 rounds before top competitive shooters noticed accuracy falling off. Considering the cartridge is overbore in powder charges used, 1400 rounds ain't too shabby.

Wait till the new 6.5x47 Lapua comes, neck it down to 6mm and you have a cartridge thats between 6br and 243.

2-2500 rounds maybe?

Or use a 6br die on the 243 case.. gives you a 30degree shoulder, and longer neck. Could possibly help with the barrellife.. Its called 6TBR (tall BR)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts