Is the 308 an effective moose round? Really?

backyardsniper

Myself and another guy on here are planning to book an unguided moose hunt out of Bethel, AK for 2017. I have always been a fan of large caliber uber magnum guns. Proven by the 338 lapua Acley improved that I own as well as a 458 Lott that resides in my gun room. However, I had this crazy Idea about killing a moose with a smaller caliber rifle. I killed my elk this year with the 338 lapua and I have to say it was nothing short of impressive. I'm looking into getting another 308 though. I particularly like 20" rifles with the mcree folding chassis, they are reasonably light and very compact. have owned a couple in that configuration. SO, I decide to do some google research on it and it appears an overwhelming number of people think that the 308 with a 165-180gr well constructed bullet is a fine moose gun. As a matter of fact I don't think I found any negative reviews on it. If this is the case that may very well be my gun of choice for this hunt. I do enjoy the low recoil and the barrel life allows me Practially unlimited practice with the rifle I would actually be hunting with. I do understand that it will limit my effective range simply due to decreased energy at the target. I don't think 300yds would be unreasonable though. What is your thoughts on the matter? It wouldn't hurt my feelings to use a 300 win or even the old 338 but I kind of have a thing for the old 308 and unlike in wyoming where getting closer wasn't always an option, I believe the terrain on this hunt would allow me to close the gap to 300 or closer pretty easily. I could always put one in the brain housing group if I had to.

No Problem, but I'd probably look at a 180 gr or heavier premium bullet. Very effective cartridge within a reasonable distance. I'd say go for it. Bruce

Not my first choice, doesn't mean it can't be yours. I'd prefer the 200+ grain bullets in all the .30 calibers.

The current #1 Boone and Crockett Alaska/Yukon moose was shot with a .303 British if memory serves me correctly.

I'd still take the .338 LOL.

What about a 180-200gr Norma oryx behind a stiff load of RL 17 and shots kept to 300 or less..

[FONT=&quot]My first choice would be something else, but here in Norway the 308W is one of the most popular calibres for (successful) moose hunting. Often used in rifles with a bbl of only 17 - 20' due to the use of suppressors. [/FONT]

I've never went moose hunting so I won't say what you should or shouldn't do but I know what choice I would make with the guns that I have. Remington 700 bdl 30.06 with 200 gr or larger nosler or Barnes TTSX and/or my 300 Weatherby mag which I bought specifically to hunt out West.
Just my two cents, good luck.

Is it an effective moose round? Yes, I believe so. I have personally taken a number of bulls, some of which were giants (mature arctic A/Y bulls). And I have 'finished' off a couple where buddies have wounded them and they were about to nose into the abyss of alders with my 308s. I've never had any of them go very far and some have dropped where they stood. I've used 180 grain Barnes XBT, Nosler ACCUBOND and Hornady AMAXs. I don't recommend the amax for big bulls unless its the 208 and lungs only.

Bulls, despite being thick skinned and heavy boned are not particularly tough to kill. There are exceptions to that rule but as a whole, if you can penetrate to the vitals, you're good. They're typically not like elk where if you blow the heart out of them they run a mile. The 175 LRX or 180TSX/TTSX will get you there. So will the 200ACCUBOND.

Use a good bullet, put it where it needs to be and enjoy the moose backstraps cooked over spruce coals. Mmmmmm....:)

A 300 Win Mag is nothing more than a .308 with a 200 yard head start. So if you'd feel good about taking a moose with a .300 Win at 500 you can feel great about 300 yards with the .308.

As a secondary question, if I decided to go the 338 Lapua AI route which is entirely possible what bullet would you recommend. I used a 285 amax on the elk I shot and it performed beautifully, but I shot him in the neck and the damage was catastrophic, however had I been forced to take an off angle shot or straight on shot I don't know how the penetration would have been, and since moose are almost twice as big as the elk I shot and I may have to shoot one from a off angle which I would do with the 338 but not the 308, what bullet would hold together for such a shot? I mean if I took the 338 it would be for that reason, so I could take a wider range of shots if nescessary and also not get eaten by a bear, that is always a good thing. A little extra horsepower never hurt. I put the berger 250 and 300 in the same class as the amax, which is a high frangible bullet more suited to broadside shots but still highly effective. Don't get me wrong I really like them both, but possibly not the best choice for this application. So, what would it be Barnes, accubond, partition, woodleigh. What do you all say?

That was kind of the impression I was under. I was thinking someting more like the barnes or accubond maybe even something tougher but I don't know what that would be

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts