Is it time for to me to give up on my wildcat?

I got my Cortina Precision expander die body back from them. They opened the neck to 0.350 and their machinist said I must have received one of the older ones because they now machine the neck to 0.350 on all of them.

I tried it out on a few cases. It definitely sizes down that web!! Where my fired brass measures 0.503 at around 0.275 from base and my FL die will only take it down to 0.502, this Cortina die took it down to 0.500!

Well, my FL die definitely sucks. However, it seems I can fix this issue by using the EC die and I'll get a new FL die made up later.

I believe I'm going to have my finish reamer reground though. I got some new bullets recently, 175tmk and 178eldm. They both measure about 0.3085. slightly fat. The berger 185 juggs I was shooting measured right at 0.308. The tmk and eldm unfortunately make contact with the freebore. My chamber reamer freebore diameter is spec'd at 0.3085, +0.001. I was checking the base to ogive measurement when at the lands for these new bullets and decided to sharpie them to see where they hit, thinking about the bullet diameter. Well, there is a contact ring all the way around the ogive of the bullet after pulling it out of the chamber when using the Hornady seating tool, instead of just marks from the lands.

Not good. So, I think I'll have the freebore diameter increased on my reamer.

I got my Cortina Precision expander die body back from them. They opened the neck to 0.350 and their machinist said I must have received one of the older ones because they now machine the neck to 0.350 on all of them.

I tried it out on a few cases. It definitely sizes down that web!! Where my fired brass measures 0.503 at around 0.275 from base and my FL die will only take it down to 0.502, this Cortina die took it down to 0.500!

Well, my FL die definitely sucks. However, it seems I can fix this issue by using the EC die and I'll get a new FL die made up later.

I believe I'm going to have my finish reamer reground though. I got some new bullets recently, 175tmk and 178eldm. They both measure about 0.3085. slightly fat. The berger 185 juggs I was shooting measured right at 0.308. The tmk and eldm unfortunately make contact with the freebore. My chamber reamer freebore diameter is spec'd at 0.3085, +0.001. I was checking the base to ogive measurement when at the lands for these new bullets and decided to sharpie them to see where they hit, thinking about the bullet diameter. Well, there is a contact ring all the way around the ogive of the bullet after pulling it out of the chamber when using the Hornady seating tool, instead of just marks from the lands.

Not good. So, I think I'll have the freebore diameter increased on my reamer.
What is your FB diameter?

What is your FB diameter?

The reamer is supposed to be 0.3085. tolerance on that is +0.001/-0.000. I didn't have Ray measure it on the reamer for me when he was taking measurements. So, I don't know what it truly is. He is out until 3/27 with the US team at world championships. Either way, it could be they're contacting due to carbon buildup. I think it's been about 150-200 since I've cleaned it. Even if it is due to carbon, I'd rather increase the diameter and go longer between cleaning.

I'm not sure if I'll clean it and check contact with the bullet again, or just load it and see what happens, or just wait to talk to Ray and get his opinion.

I have been screwing around with a 30-284 since mid-2021. I've sunk so many dollars into it and still feel like something is not right. I'm getting tired of spending way too much time trouble shooting and loading instead of just quickly loading some and being able to spend more time practicing in the field.

If I had some money to throw at it, I'd just send the barreled action, reamers, brass, and sizing die to someone like Wheeler Accuracy or similar and have them troubleshoot it and do what needs to be done to make it work like I want. But I have no money.

What do you guys think? How many of you have thrown in the towel on wildcats, went to factory ammo or at least simplified your loading and became much happier with your rifles? I might be at the point of saying F it.
Just put it on the back burner and come back to it.

Don't know about the TMK but The ELDM bullets showing a solid ring on the bullet is normal. With bullet having a secant ogive the bullet usually stop at the end of the throat, rather than contacting the rifling. Bearing surface of the bullet should be close to were your reamer print shows the throat/lead dimension.

Don't know about the TMK but The ELDM bullets showing a solid ring on the bullet is normal. With bullet having a secant ogive the bullet usually stop at the end of the throat, rather than contacting the rifling. Bearing surface of the bullet should be close to were your reamer print shows the throat/lead dimension.
That is good information. The eldm actually measures a hair larger in diameter than the tmk, but the circumferential marking was more consistent and definite than the tmk. The Tmk has more lands marking, plus a little extra but it's not like the eldm. Also, the case base to ogive measurement of the eldm sort of indicates that it's hitting near the lands end of the freebore. So... You might be correct about the shape of the eldm causing the marking I'm seeing. I also have some 168 eldms. I'll check those out and see what the markings look like.

Thanks for the tip!

I think what I may end up doing is seeing if they'll ship my die back and have them hang on to the reamers. I'm extremely strapped for cash at the moment, so even having them regrind the reamer and having my current barrel reamed again probably costs more than I have available. That would give me time to have a good discussion with Ray and determine what would be best for changes to the reamer to meet my goals while allowing me to screw around with these eldms I have.

I messed around with wildcat cartridges when I was in my 20s-30s, but I kind of lost the enthusiasm for it. I just got tired of dealing with forming cases, developing loads, etc.

I understand the enjoyment, but I enjoy reloading and tinkering with factory cartridges now.

Interesting thread for sure

What's a "clicker" ?
Basically when the case is too large for the chamber and you have to force the bolt up to extract the case and it makes a "click" sound when it hits the top of primary extraction. It happens from hot loads or a miss match between the chamber and sizing die

Update here.

I had Manson send my reamers to Old Dominion custom rifles and I'll have him set my barrel back to clean out the oversized portion of my chamber. I'm also going to have him cut me a new sizing die from a newlon blank.

I decided to not have Manson regrind my reamer to change any dimensions. Zach is going to throat out further when he Re Chambers it so I can play around with some longer bullets. I'm highly confident having him cut the chamber and make me a new sizing die will fix all the issues I was having with brass sizing etc.