Is it best to start on lands/load work-up!

Mikecr, I'm not sure what you mean here in the seconded paragraph - 'what I would consider with your reamer' please explained?

Also, I'd be eternally greatful if you would look at your software and suggest!!

So what powder charge would be a good start for doing the depth test? Something middle of the road?

boscodog,
Start at .015 off and work back from there. The Elite Hunter bullets are a Hybrid design and very tolerant of jump that make them easy to tune for. That and the fact that you already have the oversize magazine will be a real plus. For hunting applications you really don't want the bullet on or into the lands. This could result in an action full of powder and the end of your day if you have to un-chamber the round and the bullet gets stuck in the lands and pulls out of the cartridge case. The thought behind finding the seating depth first at the lowest powder charge listed is that the seating depth affects pressure the closer you get to the lands or powder column so you need to know where the "cork" sits in the neck before you fill the bottle. Mikecr has some excellent points in his posts to follow. The "coarse" and "fine" adjustment explanation is right on (and I may steal it if I may Mike). The baseline of the load should give you at least 1800 fps at the maximum range you feel comfortable shooting out too. Hope its warm where you are going to be testing! Please let us know if you need any more help and thank you for using our bullets!
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

ohiohunter,
Always use the LOWEST powder charge listed for the powder/bullet/cartridge combination you are testing when doing your seating depth testing. You will be up near or into the lands and that increases pressure big time so be safe. Load testing can seem be tedious and wasteful to some but it can pay great dividends. Please don't take any shortcuts. It can end badly. Let us know if we can be any help if you need it.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts