Is it to late for me o start reloading ?

I stopped by my local Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday to see what they had available on ammo. $10.00 for a little square box of 100 Remington 22LR. I was totally floored. Dick's can forget my business.

I stopped by my local Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday to see what they had available on ammo. $10.00 for a little square box of 100 Remington 22LR. I was totally floored. Dick's can forget my business.
I know this won't make you feel any better, I was at my buddy's gun shop yesterday, he just got in a shipment of 22lr's along with some other stuff. He showed me his invoice, he paid $8.00 a hundred for the 22's. that was his cost right now everyone pays it seems like.

Jeepers - They are going to chase people away from shooting by making it too expensive. I had heard Hillary Clinton mention this several years back.

Jeepers - They are going to chase people away from shooting by making it too expensive. I had heard Hillary Clinton mention this several years back.

Never put anything past that underhanded b*tch.....

Heard Obummer pitched a fit about the gun laws not passing, so now he's talking about pushing E.O.'s to get stuff passed. His highness needs to be impeached for treason and tyrannies against the US Constitution.

I think if he trys to issue an E.O. on something that has already been voted against he probably will be impeached. He's like a spoiled little kid. He needs to be thrown out.

one way to get started, and hold your initial costs down is to buddy up with a local reloader. take advantage of their knowledge and experience, and use their equipment to determine what may fit your needs. I've done this with many beginners over the last 30 yrs, just as someone did for me when I was starting.

p.s. - doesn't hurt to bring a gift of whatever they shoot, say a box of bullets to fit their favorite or a new widget to try out.

tell folks about where you are located, and ask if someone would be willing to spend some time as a mentor. remember guys, if you pay it forward, you will reap as you sow.

Rick

Rick - That is a great idea.

I had mentors but I had to buy all my equipment up front. I do have a shooting buddy now who would have done what you suggest and it certainly would have helped. The one thing we have to avoid is buying stuff we don't need but looks nice in the catalog, a reloading buddy would help a new hand-loader avoid this.

This is also a great way to make friends shooting. Shooting and hunting can be such a tight knit group it is always nice to have a few friends, "eyes and ears out in the field so to speak".

I reload 223 and here are my prices of components to give you an idea. I use a price for brass also so you can ignore that if you want. You may be able to save a little from my prices but after factoring in shipping and taxes I find these numbers to be close. Depending on how much detail you go into preparing brass it can be fairly time consuming but if you do it while watching tv time can go by pretty quickly.

Target/Varmint rounds using commercial powders
Brass .02
Primer .03
Powder .10
Bullet .13-.22
Total .28-.37 per round

Range rounds using surplus powder
Brass .02
Primer .03
Powder .05
Bullet .10-.20
Total .20-.30 per round

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.