Is it a mistake

Macv,
The reason the distance has changed is due to the reduction in the size of the target i.e. 72" to 36", the reticle view i.e. Mils
will go from 2.5 to 1.25. So basically the calculation will be as follows:

Size of Target: 36"
Mils: 1.25

So it's 36"(27.78)/1.25= 800.06 or if you're using my method your 36" target is 100% of the allocated 36" standard. 100%(1000)=1000/ 1.25= 800

Note: The 36" is merely a reference or standard and not actually to be used in the final equation.

The math has to stay consistant. If you feel that no target will ever get larger than 36" then this would work fine. A Prarie Dog @ 12" is 34% of 36", a Deer @ 24" is 67% of 36", and the human torso is approx. 100% of 36". You would then multiply the percentages by 1000 and divide by the mils. Does that help?

-----------------------------------------
Experience the best, Judge the rest!!

[ 09-15-2004: Message edited by: PracTac ]

You are absolutely right. I was sitting at work thinking about what I had said and then drew a picture of a 72" silo. and put in some mildots. And DUH, there I saw my mistake. It would read 1.25 of course because of the 36" target and therefore the range would be the same. I find working with mildots very interesting and want to learn all that I can about it. I find myself always working up a rangeing target just to practice what I am learning. I don't have the scope mounted yet on a rifle, but it will be put on my Rem. 40X in 308, or on my Sav. 223 varminter mod. 12. Now I have to start to work with bul. drop. This is a little different shooting than high power where you know your range, ( did that for 13 years ) but not all that different. Thanks for the comeback and all the help.
wink.gif

You are absolutely right. I was sitting at work thinking about what I had said and then drew a picture of a 72" silo. and put in some mildots. And DUH, there I saw my mistake. It would read 1.25 of course because of the 36" target and therefore the range would be the same. I find working with mildots very interesting and want to learn all that I can about it. I find myself always working up a rangeing target just to practice what I am learning. I don't have the scope mounted yet on a rifle, but it will be put on my Rem. 40X in 308, or on my Sav. 223 varminter mod. 12. Now I have to start to work with bul. drop. This is a little different shooting than high power where you know your range, ( did that for 13 years ) but not all that different. Thanks for the comeback and all the help.
wink.gif

Macv, As Jeff form TX said, practice. That will make the use so much simpler. If you go through your "Ultimate Sniper" book you'll find a lot of data that pertains to the two calibers that you have. It's good ballistics data, but will vary based on the characteristics of your rifles.

I use a ballistics program to work up data and test variables such as wind, humidity, and temp. at distances from 100-600yds. If you don't have one, depending on what your intentions are, it might be worth investing in. Once you work up your data, buy some Butler Creek caps and tape the data into the cap. It will always be at your disposal.

Gook luck on mounting and siting in.
--------------------------------------------
Experience the best, Judge the rest.

[ 09-16-2004: Message edited by: PracTac ]

Hi, The latest report on my mildot scope is this. Still not mounted on a rifle as yet, getting it back from Savage on Fri,but did practice with it a little. What I did was to put a few sticks in the ground with a known measurement in my back yard and then set the scope on my front rest on a snack table in the house. Not really the steadiest method but I just wanted to see how close would the scope calc. distance. these were my findings.After I did the calc. on how many mildots it took to measure the sticks, I wrote down my answers. Then I went outside and measured with a tape the exact distance. I felt that I didn't do too badly for the first time even tho the distances were not too great. this was the turn out.The first stick I said was 59.3 yards away when it was measured at 60. the 2nd was guessed at 51 yds. and it turned out to be 49.3. The last stick was guessed at 55.5 yds. and was 54.6 .This is a great scope as far as I can see and cannot wait to mount it and then try some greater distances. I find the formula 27.77 very easy to use and quite simple, however I will be getting a mildot master as well.I know I will be spending many hours rangeing and shooting with this mildot system scope and enjoying every minute.
grin.gif

Well I finally got to mount the scope on my 223 Sav. varminter and shot it yesterday from 100 to 300 yds. The cross are thin enough to section off and still see a very little bit of orange on a 3/4" dot at 200 yards. It is going to work just fine for target shooting and still provide the capabilities for some long range rangeing when hunting critters. Just what I was looking for. I found the mill dot system accurate for everything that I ranged from the yardages that I mentioned above. The scope is very clear edge to edge and the AO is very , very accurate when it comes to clearing it up to a certain distance. Known distance. I now can say that anyone who buy's a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope should be happy with it. The repeatability was also good. I tried the shoot once, then clicked 2" right, then 2" down, and then 2" left and then back up 2". Was very happy to see all the shots go where they were supposed to go. Enough said about the scope. Now it's time to go and reload for my next outing. Bye.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hey, that's good to hear. I'm working on a inexpensive setup for some Blacktail Deer here in Southern California. I puchased a Howa 1500 Lightning in .308. Although I usually go with Leupold, I found this company Hawke Optics. They are located in the United Kingdom, but use Japanese glass. They have a pretty wide range of scopes. I'm trying their SideWinder 6-18X52AO
Mil Dot. It's a 1" tube with Tacticle turrets. Their web site is hawkeoptics.com so if anyone is interested in looking. You cam also go to airgunsonly.com. Good luck with your 4200.

--------------------------------------------
Experience the best, Judge the rest!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts